Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

towing

Old 10-27-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burton50x
Max capacity for a JKU is 3500. Will you be driving on flat or hilly roads. The biggest issue with the JK is wheel base and stopping ability. Does the boat have electronic brakes?
Actually, wheelbase and brakes don't have much to do with the tow rating and everything to do with maintaining speed up certain grades and engine cooling.

Many states require trailer brakes once the trailer hits 1,000lbs+
JK brakes are comparable or superior to many other vehicles with twice its tow rating.
While engine power has something to do with tow rating, it's not everything. (Case in point: ZJ with 5.9 was rated lower than the 5.2L)

Track width was comparable in my '09 unlimited to a WK. Wheelbase is actually longer in the JK.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CerOf
Actually, wheelbase and brakes don't have much to do with the tow rating and everything to do with maintaining speed up certain grades and engine cooling. Many states require trailer brakes once the trailer hits 1,000lbs+ JK brakes are comparable or superior to many other vehicles with twice its tow rating. While engine power has something to do with tow rating, it's not everything. (Case in point: ZJ with 5.9 was rated lower than the 5.2L) Track width was comparable in my '09 unlimited to a WK. Wheelbase is actually longer in the JK. Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Tracking all, just mentioning common issues with wranglers as a whole. It's an off road vehicle not a truck. Tow whatever you want just keep in mind the limitations. If your constantly asking am I going to be able to tow ''this'' with my JK, you prob should have bought a truck.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Towed like a champ. I'm gonna install a flash cal and let er eat. Only gonna tow locally except for maybe twice a yr.

Quick Reply: towing