Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing hybrid trailers with JK - feedback needed!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a 2010 in your info, so yes, get the aux transmission cooler, keep the trailer limited to 3000 pounds fully loaded, and you should be fine with a rubicon. As mentioned, you will likely appreciate mirror extendors.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

My JKUR is also a 2010, and I tow a 19' hybrid that has a dry weight of about 2,600lbs. I regularly go to the Salton Sea (110 miles one way, relatively flat), which I would say is easy, and up into the mountains about 25-30 miles (2,000ft elevation up to over 5,000 in about 20 miles). On the steepest part it is slow going, which is fine, and coming down I do need to mind my braking. On hot drives, I stop about half way to let the brakes cool. I've had it as far as Death Valley (250 miles, with plenty of hills), with wife and two kids in the Jeep. It was slow going, but I'm in no hurry when towing. Again, coming down the last major decline, (the Cajon Pass - quite a decline!), I kept it slow, but I was still rather uncomfortable. I probably should have gone slower, because the only part I don't like is the downhills.
I would recommend trailer brakes, weight distribution hitch, and transmission cooler. I get the trailer out at least 8 times a year, and for us, the most important thing to have is the flushing toilet. It makes all the difference in the world! Next is the climate control, which means no matter the weather, we are comfortable (it was over 100 in Death Valley, but no complaints from the children!). I say go for it. Just take your time, and don't push it!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most hybrid travel trailers limit tow vehicles due to frontal area and not weight alone. If you're driving highway speeds with a 115" tall travel trailer, the wind drag can be like double that of the tow vehicle. On the highway this can overheat transmissions and engines. Often times user manuals for vehicles will list frontal area limitations when towing trailers. I believe the manual for the jeep grand cherokee lists this, but I'm not sure about wranglers.

I tow a 3500lb open trailer (tractor) and a 3500lb Jayco hybrid travel trailer behind my F150. The F150 rated at 9,000+ lbs with the heavy duty tow package.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jared937
My JKUR is also a 2010, and I tow a 19' hybrid that has a dry weight of about 2,600lbs. I regularly go to the Salton Sea (110 miles one way, relatively flat), which I would say is easy, and up into the mountains about 25-30 miles (2,000ft elevation up to over 5,000 in about 20 miles). On the steepest part it is slow going, which is fine, and coming down I do need to mind my braking. On hot drives, I stop about half way to let the brakes cool. I've had it as far as Death Valley (250 miles, with plenty of hills), with wife and two kids in the Jeep. It was slow going, but I'm in no hurry when towing. Again, coming down the last major decline, (the Cajon Pass - quite a decline!), I kept it slow, but I was still rather uncomfortable. I probably should have gone slower, because the only part I don't like is the downhills.
I would recommend trailer brakes, weight distribution hitch, and transmission cooler. I get the trailer out at least 8 times a year, and for us, the most important thing to have is the flushing toilet. It makes all the difference in the world! Next is the climate control, which means no matter the weather, we are comfortable (it was over 100 in Death Valley, but no complaints from the children!). I say go for it. Just take your time, and don't push it!
What model is your 19' hybrid ?
thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heeper
My comments are not going to be popular with some in this forum, but I would proceed with caution in the scenario you describe. My towing experience with my 2010 JKU automatic, stock with towing package is very limited. But my one trip into the Rockies towing my friends small fiberglass camping trailer ( 13 foot Boler from the 1960's ) that he claimed weighed less than 2000 lbs convinced me that if I were going to buy a trailer to pull with my jeep I would want to keep its weight to as close to 1000 lbs as possible. We were absolutely crawling up the steeper passes, and the trip convinced me that the JKU just doesn't make a good tow vehicle.
with a 3.8 auto, you would be crawling even without a trailer behind you.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

edit: THANKS anyone else with an opinion?

Last edited by Dream Girl; 09-09-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream Girl
Anyone else?
You ignore all responses but 1 and just posting BUMP to the others.... Kinda rude
Old 09-09-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

I am not ignoring any other posting Heaven forbid! I just don't have anything to say...
I keep bumping this thread as I wish to hear more views on this topic, I am desperate...
Old 09-09-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream Girl
I am not ignoring any other posting Heaven forbid! I just don't have anything to say...
I keep bumping this thread as I wish to hear more views on this topic, I am desperate...
How about .... THANKS anyone else with an opinion? There free bump for you
Old 09-09-2014, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
How about .... THANKS anyone else with an opinion? There free bump for you
I like your approach!
I will edit my last post and for the future adopt yours!

Quick Reply: Towing hybrid trailers with JK - feedback needed!