Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing JK two front wheels lifted

Old 07-11-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing JK two front wheels lifted

I know the owners manual says you can damage the transfer case towing two wheels up but can someone tell me WHY a vehicle that can be towed four wheels down can't be towed front wheels up if the case is in neutral???

Last edited by locnrol; 07-11-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

I just towed my 2013 JK manual from Virginia to Florida on a tow dolly with the T-case in neutral and nothing went wrong at all
Old 07-11-2013, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

As long as the transfer case is in neutral there won't be any problems. It's if you are towing a rear wheel drive with the rear wheels on the ground and the transfer case is in engaged and the transmission is in neutral will you cause damage to the transmission.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by locnrol
I know the owners manual says you can damage the transfer case towing two wheels up but can someone tell me WHY a vehicle that can be towed four wheels down can't be towed front wheels up if the case is in neutral???
It may have something to do with the rear half spinning without the front half spinning, and how the oil is circulated inside.

Other than that, no one has come up with an official reason.

Someone said they just towed theirs on a dolly with no problem. Maybe the damage the manual warns about is such that it takes a while to get to the point of failure.
And the manual doesn't say it's OK if the transfer case is in neutral, which it will be for towing anyway.

For those who have not seen the manual regarding recreational towing of the JK, this is an excerpt from it:

"Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used. Internal
damage to the transmission or transfer case will
occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when
recreational towing."

Quick Reply: Towing JK two front wheels lifted