Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Towing laws and insurance?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing laws and insurance?

I live in PA and am not sure if the laws vary from state to state. I'm in the market for a trail only rig. So let's say I do get one and decide to flat tow it or dolly tow it behind my truck. Do I need insurance for the vehicle being towed? I plan on buying the vehicle straight up with cash and having the title in my name. I've seen some people say they just tow it around with the title, and others say they have it registered, insured and plated.

If you really think about it, it'd make sense that the vehicle being towed (any kind of towing: flat, dolly, trailer) would need insurance, right? God forbid something happens and the vehicle breaks loose and it causes an accident. What about the trailer/ tow dolly, I know those need plates and registration, but do those need insurance too? The vehicle I'm driving, the towing vehicle, is obviously insured, but does that insurance extend over into the vehicle being towed? I don't think it would since they're two separate vehicles...

Thanks in advance.

I tried googling this stuff but only had mixed results, so that bars that outta the equation.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

There are many trails that only allow licensed vehicles. So I think you you would need both a license and insurance, even if you don't drive it under its own power on the road.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goldtr8
There are many trails that only allow licensed vehicles. So I think you you would need both a license and insurance, even if you don't drive it under its own power on the road.
Cool, I don't mind that. I'm just worried about the insurance.. kinda hard to do for me since I'm still in college. I guess I'll have to wait till I graduate to do this.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

from a towing / trailer perspective -

i know that i couldnt BUY insurance for our car trailer (if its stolen or burnt its covered under our home owners).....if the trailer is being TOWED it's covered by the primary mover insurance....so if something happens and the trailer comes loose or is damaged in a crash (while being towed by our coach or f350) then the primary mover (coach or f350) insurance covers the trailer.

many (vehicle) insurance companies will NOT cover the goods ON or IN the trailer - that is covered by home owners policies.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bushpilot
from a towing / trailer perspective -

i know that i couldnt BUY insurance for our car trailer (if its stolen or burnt its covered under our home owners).....if the trailer is being TOWED it's covered by the primary mover insurance....so if something happens and the trailer comes loose or is damaged in a crash (while being towed by our coach or f350) then the primary mover (coach or f350) insurance covers the trailer.

many (vehicle) insurance companies will NOT cover the goods ON or IN the trailer - that is covered by home owners policies.
Ahh ok that makes perfect sense and lines up with the info I just got from PennDOT and from my insurance provider (Liberty Mutual)

I didn't ask about a trailer, but I know they need plates and registration

As far as a Tow Dolly is concerned, the PennDOT guy told me that the dolly and vehicle being towed on it doesn't need plates or registration. The vehicle being towed doesn't need inspection or emmissions. Only needs the various hazard/ warning/ brake lights on the vehicle beign towed.

When it comes to Flat Towing, the vehicle being towed needs to be registered, pass inspection and emissions, but doesn't need a plate. And of course needs the various warnign and braking lights attached to it.

From an insurance standpoint, the vehicle doing the towing, the primary vehicle's insurance, covers the vehicle being towed. My agent said it was covered under Liability insurance. But every insurance provider is a little different.

Thanks for the help! I'm a little confused as to why the vehicle being towed needs to pass emissions and inspection... I guess it's because 4 wheels are on the ground and stuff could happen to it drivetrain wise..
Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

i can tell you this is the case for Progressive (just canceled them) & Allstate (my new provider) as well as our RV/coach insurer.

depending on the state & weight of the towed trailer, jeep or combination - you MAY need brakes on the jeep or trailer (controlled by the primary mover).

MOST states (not all) require break-away brakes on the towed vehicle or trailer...again depends on the state & weight....from an insurance liability perspective not having break away brakes on the towed vehicle could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit (if the jeep comes loose and causes property damage, injury or death)....not many do it but its important to understand the risks.

flat towing our jeep is a LOT easier than putting it on a trailer....no need to worry about the trailer & what to do w/ it once we arrive some place....if youre off roading or trailing...the trailer could allow you the advantage of getting the jeep home or to a shop if its disabled to the point that you wouldnt be able to FLAT tow it.

tow dollies are a pain in the ass....cant back them easily (and certainly not while towing) and you still have all the issues of a conventional trailer (storage & maintenance). Trailer tires SUCK...they blow out far too often (probably due to age and lack of maintenance)....so consider the need for at least one spare if not TWO.

w/ a TWO axle trailer, if you blow a tire, youre not completely dead....and the trailer can still be CONTROLLABLE enough to get to the side of the road or off ramp so you can safely change the tire....with a single axle trailer or tow dolly....a blow-out can be a butt puckering moment, if not a complete disaster.

I run a SEPARATE tire pressure monitoring system on the towed vehicle (trailer or jeep) when towing....i have a monitor on the dash that reports tire pressure & temperature and ALARMS if the tire temps get too high or the temps & pressures see dramatic and sudden changes (predictive of a blow out or flat).....this may seem excessive but when your towing....a multi axle trailer or jeep its not always obvious if youve got a flat....many times the towed trailer or jeep is visually obstructed....ive seen lots of people towing trailer w/ flats or blow outs (think flapping tread/belts) that didnt even know they had a flat or were destroying theyre equipment.

Last edited by bushpilot; 12-04-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bushpilot
i can tell you this is the case for Progressive (just canceled them) & Allstate (my new provider) as well as our RV/coach insurer.

depending on the state & weight of the towed trailer, jeep or combination - you MAY need brakes on the jeep or trailer (controlled by the primary mover).

MOST states (not all) require break-away brakes on the towed vehicle or trailer...again depends on the state & weight....from an insurance liability perspective not having break away brakes on the towed vehicle could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit (if the jeep comes loose and causes property damage, injury or death)....not many do it but its important to understand the risks.

flat towing our jeep is a LOT easier than putting it on a trailer....no need to worry about the trailer & what to do w/ it once we arrive some place....if youre off roading or trailing...the trailer could allow you the advantage of getting the jeep home or to a shop if its disabled to the point that you wouldnt be able to FLAT tow it.

tow dollies are a pain in the ass....cant back them easily (and certainly not while towing) and you still have all the issues of a conventional trailer (storage & maintenance). Trailer tires SUCK...they blow out far too often (probably due to age and lack of maintenance)....so consider the need for at least one spare if not TWO.

w/ a TWO axle trailer, if you blow a tire, youre not completely dead....and the trailer can still be CONTROLLABLE enough to get to the side of the road or off ramp so you can safely change the tire....with a single axle trailer or tow dolly....a blow-out can be a butt puckering moment, if not a complete disaster.

I run a SEPARATE tire pressure monitoring system on the towed vehicle (trailer or jeep) when towing....i have a monitor on the dash that reports tire pressure & temperature and ALARMS if the tire temps get too high or the temps & pressures see dramatic and sudden changes (predictive of a blow out or flat).....this may seem excessive but when your towing....a multi axle trailer or jeep its not always obvious if youve got a flat....many times the towed trailer or jeep is visually obstructed....ive seen lots of people towing trailer w/ flats or blow outs (think flapping tread/belts) that didnt even know they had a flat or were destroying theyre equipment.
Wow.. I didn't even think of all that stuff, you bring up some good points. Looks like the tow dolly is outta the question. A lot of people seem to have problems with them. How much does a break-away brake system cost and which one do you prefer/ use? Even if my stae doesn't require it, which I think PA does, I'd still want to have one just to cover my ass and so I won't have the guilt of knowing it's something I could've prevented.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

personally i dont see the advantage of a tow dolly (other than size)....dealing w/ storing a dolly isnt much different than a larger trailer....dolly's seem too single purpose imo.

a dolly can easily be as costly as a 2 axle 16 foot flat/utility or car trailer......my friends & family can sure put a trailer to use (over a dolly)....friends wanting to use your pickup truck can get taken to a whole new level when you have a trailer... "hey can i borrow your trailer...."

ALL this stuff makes a good attempt at running people to the poor house thats for sure....know and consider that "single axle" garden trailers dont have brakes....and no one considers the danger of those (apparently)...at some point taking REASONABLE precaution takes over (for me and many).

these braking laws (by state) might be helpful for you to know...

Trailer Brakes | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

readybrake dot com makes an inexpensive cable system

Readystop Towed Vehicle Break Away Kit - $82.99

personally i use GRADE 70 chains with clevis hooks that cant come loose....

Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know that my trailer is covered by my tow vehicle (liability only) but I had to get seperate coverage for the comprehensive on the trailer. Just call your insurance agent.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A tow dolly can't be used on a 4WD Jeep, period. It will destroy the transfer case. 4 wheels on the ground or 4 wheels on a trailer works fine.

Some states require proof of insurance to get a license for the vehicle. Its good to have liability insurance anyway. Even on the trail you are liable for damage and personal injury caused by your Jeep.

Quick Reply: Towing laws and insurance?