Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

towing with my 07 2 door

Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing with my 07 2 door

My dilemma: I was going to invest in a truck to do my towing/hauling but there's no way I can afford to have a truck and the jk. Well the Jeep isn't going anywhere, so I'll need to tow with it.

Now I plan on regearing to 4.88 and I'm on 35" tires with a 4" lift. And it's a manual transmission.

I'll be towing a 16' wells cargo enclosed trailer, with no trailer brakes.

I also plan on getting a 18'-ish boat as well. I can only assume that will have no trailer brakes either.

Anyone see any issues I may have besides lack of power from the 3.8 and the short wheel base? Nothing I can really do about those other than deal with it.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This weighs in at about 2000 lbs, right at the limit and I've had no problems. The 3.8 has been totally fine towing for me. And mines an auto.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-357432140.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	458184  
Old 05-15-2013, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
This weighs in at about 2000 lbs, right at the limit and I've had no problems. The 3.8 has been totally fine towing for me. And mines an auto.
Dang, right at the limit with two jet skis? I'd probably be way over the limit with a 18' boat then.

Last edited by 0BigBlue7; 05-15-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Had a 1800 pop-up camper towed fine for the most part w/ and auto. You can definitly feel the weight push you around from time to time. I did upgrade to drilled/slotted rotors and hawak pads. Make a difference.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 0BigBlue7

Dang, right at the limit with two jet skis? I'd probably be way over the limit with a 18' boat then.
Yeah. One weighs about 800 lbs and the other about 600 lbs dry. 35 gallons of fuel combined between the two which is about 220 lbs. About 400 lbs for the double trailer, throw in some gear and I'm probably a little over 2000. It's always towed like a champ, those with pre-2012 autos should invest in a trans cooler and I've never felt like I needed improved stopping ability but I'm sure as mentioned in one of the above post it can help.

Last edited by AirJordan613; 05-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

An 18' boat being towed by a 2dt JK with no brakes is wrong in every way. Figure out the total weights before you buy anything. The 2dr is not a towing machine in any way. You may be better off getting a 4dr JK or a crewcab truck if you really want a boat & use / tow it lots. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to towing.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by otservice
An 18' boat being towed by a 2dt JK with no brakes is wrong in every way. Figure out the total weights before you buy anything. The 2dr is not a towing machine in any way. You may be better off getting a 4dr JK or a crewcab truck if you really want a boat & use / tow it lots. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to towing.
Welp, I guess the jk will have to be replaced with a dodge Cummins when the time comes. Sad day.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

My dilemma: I was going to invest in a truck to do my towing/hauling but there's no way I can afford to have a truck and the jk. Well the Jeep isn't going anywhere, so I'll need to tow with it.

Now I plan on regearing to 4.88 and I'm on 35" tires with a 4" lift. And it's a manual transmission.

I'll be towing a 16' wells cargo enclosed trailer, with no trailer brakes.

I also plan on getting a 18'-ish boat as well. I can only assume that will have no trailer brakes either.

Anyone see any issues I may have besides lack of power from the 3.8 and the short wheel base? Nothing I can really do about those other than deal with it.
I tried a pop up camper about wrecked because of the sway from wind and could really feel the push.
Kept the jeep and bought a Honda Pilot to pull camper.
I hear the 2013 has sway control on it. And the pentstar has more power as far as handling I'd figure it would be the same.
Hope this helps
Old 05-17-2013, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Welp, I guess the jk will have to be replaced with a dodge Cummins when the time comes. Sad day.
I actually just picked up a Chevy c/c dually so we have a towing vehicle again. The JK is great for trails, but it's not meant to tow in any productive manner. Now that we've got the C/C we have more room than the JK & can tow the JK for wheeling trips once it gets built up to that point haha
Old 05-17-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by otservice

I actually just picked up a Chevy c/c dually so we have a towing vehicle again. The JK is great for trails, but it's not meant to tow in any productive manner. Now that we've got the C/C we have more room than the JK & can tow the JK for wheeling trips once it gets built up to that point haha
I need to do this. I can't even think k about getting rid of the Jeep, I like It too much. I guess I'll just have to figure out a way to have both, and a gas friendly car for commuting. Grr.

Quick Reply: towing with my 07 2 door