Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trade or not???!?

Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade or not???!?

I have been weighing lockers in my 07 unlimited sport, it has 4.88's manual and only 35000 miles. Lift a several other mods. I stoped at dealership because they had an 08 Rubicon stock 64000 miles. The dealership just installed a brand new engine due to old one had oil cosumption issues. So engine has less than 100 miles. They are asking 23000 and will trade me even. I am not sure, I love mine and have jad 0 real issues. Do you think Rubicon package is worth giving up 30,000 on odometer?????
Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

With what you have done to yours.....I say no.....keep yours
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your going to spend that kind of money on a Rubi I would just take you wheels and tires off put some junkers on and get a 2013 Sport for 25K or try to talk to a dealer about getting a new rubi for a good price. Belive me the new engine is worth it. Its like night and day.

All in all I say Keep you can always throw some lockers on your rig
Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
If your going to spend that kind of money on a Rubi I would just take you wheels and tires off put some junkers on and get a 2013 Sport for 25K or try to talk to a dealer about getting a new rubi for a good price. Belive me the new engine is worth it. Its like night and day
Yea, but then in same situation. I want the 44 in front and lockers.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

They did have an 12 Gecko Rubicon for 38000 ouch! What deals have you guys been getting on new Rubicons????
Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they will somehow give a warranty on the engine it sounds like a good move.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your trading a modded vehicle for for one that is only one year newer with TWICE the miles and is stock! Of course they want to trade you they are making out. If you did trade it you would have a stock vehicle and have the cost of all the new mods. In my opinion you're better off selling your current jeep and putting the money into a newer model year with a warranty.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Dealers rarely make a trade that isn't a good deal for them and a bad deal for you. What's NADA, Kelly Blue Book, Black Book, and Edmunds say the values are for both? Then add whatever you think your mods are worth.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

See if you can keep at least some of your mods. That will reduce your future costs. As long as you will be happy with the 4.10 gears on the Rubi, you won't have to regear for awhile. You'll gain all the rubi features.

I'd say go for it if it'll make you happy. Hell, 64k miles ain't bad on these bodies, especially with a new motor. Warranty on it would be a bonus. I'm rolling at 65k miles, nothing major or even minor fixups. That kind of miles on a stock Rubi, I'd guess that they didn't offroad much and mostly highway/ city driving.

Remove any mods they can't see or don't know about. Sway bar discos, brake line extensions, maybe change your coil lift for a super cheap BB. If your bigger tires are used mostly, put them on a set of cheap take off wheels and let dealer have those without spacers. Keep your jack and any thing that you can.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenrescue
I love mine and have had 0 real issues.
When it comes to a Jeep, this is the main issue for me. You would be trading a known rig (your '07 w/ 30k some-odd miles) for an unknown rig. Could be the Rubi w/ the new/rebuilt engine would be great, but it's a coin toss.

This is one of the reasons why I haven't traded my '08 (bought new by me) for a '13. Yeah, more hp is always great, but just too many stories of people having problems w/ the Pentastar, heater core, and transmissions. I'll stick w/ my '08 because it's never let me down, and I just don't have a good reason to trade up.

Good luck w/ whatever you decide

Quick Reply: Trade or not???!?