Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trouble installing soft top, please help

Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble installing soft top, please help

Hello!

I have a 2012 JK 2 door sport with dual top, thought it's time to take the hard top off and install the soft top for the first time as it's getting warmer here in the southern hemisphere. With a friend helping it wasn't too hard to remove the hard top but installing the soft top happened to be a major pain. I think I've figured out everything except one thing, latches at the front fall half inch short from the metal hooks they supposed to clip in to. When hard top was installed the front panels had same latches and they would very easily fit in and lock in but the front of the soft top appears just a little too short so the hooks in latches can't reach into the metal loops above windscreen. Is there a part missing that has to come above windscreen and front edge of soft top? It feels like the manual and video guides on youtube are skipping some details or assume soft top was already installed and explain how to take it up or down but not how to install it for the first time. Would really appreciate any advise!

Maxim
Old 09-30-2012, 01:59 AM
JK Super Freak

The hooks fold out to be able to reach the anchor points. Did you do that?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by McPuck86
The hooks fold out to be able to reach the anchor points. Did you do that?
Yes, I sure did.

Turns out, the problem was with the locking thingies in door guards. There is a plastic part with a hole, screwed to each side of the metal frame and they are supposed to lock into sockets in the top of door guards. The only problem was that they were not sliding into sockets right and were getting trapped that half inch before the socket. That prevented the frame to extend completely and so hooks won't reach the anchors. I'm not 100% sure but I think these plastic parts that are screwed in to the frame were screwed in wrong and that's why they didn't fit into sockets in door guards but it wasn't obvious because you can't see that behind the fabric of the top. I only realized that it didn't fit when I found that one of them broke. I removed them and now it all fits and locks.. But now without these parts holding the frame down, I think I can't have the sunroof, the wind will lift the rest of the top up.. should call the dealer and ask if they can supply these parts..

Anyone had that same problem with new soft top?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes try to get them from the dealer. if not I would call bestop

Quick Reply: Trouble installing soft top, please help