Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Trouble starting followed by white smoke.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no mechanic so I'm not entirely sure what happened...but this morning I had some trouble getting my 2012 JK to start. It seemed lIke it was starting normally and then just died right away. After turning the key a couple of times and hearing it struggle to turn over I decided to depress the gas as I turned the key hoping that might make a difference. It did start after I gave it a little gas and has not had a problem after trying to start it a few more times this morning. I noticed that a lot of white smoke came from the exhaust for a little while after driving off this morning but that seems to have gone away too. Since I got it up and running it has been running fine. I figured maybe some water may have found its way into my fuel line so I bought some stuff to remedy that and dumped it in the tank. My JK only has about 10,000 miles. Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Last edited by rfn379; 12-17-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your oil make sure it's not milky and check your radiator for signs of oil in it. what you just described sounds like a blown head gasket.thinking good luck
Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Is that a likely problem after only 10,000 miles? I haven't had any other issues the rest of the day today. It's been starting fine and there hasn't been anymore smoke and no strange odors. Is it possible something just contaminated the fuel line? I am really hoping the head gasket isn't the problem. That's a huge (and expensive) job isn't it?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rfn379
Is that a likely problem after only 10,000 miles? I haven't had any other issues the rest of the day today. It's been starting fine and there hasn't been anymore smoke and no strange odors. Is it possible something just contaminated the fuel line? I am really hoping the head gasket isn't the problem. That's a huge (and expensive) job isn't it?
Some of the 2012 models have a recall on the driver side head for ticking problems im not sure if that includes gasket problems or not but if it does your dealer should fix for free cause its a recall
Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Just checked the oil a couple of times with the dip stick and it looked normal. I couldn't check the coolant because the engine was still hot since it was running a short while ago and didn't feel like having the radiatior spray me in the face. I can check that in the morning I guess. I'm REALLY hoping it is NOT a head gasket.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are still under warranty right....take it to the dealer
Old 12-18-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I am still under warranty. I checked the fluids again this morning. Both the oil and the coolant fluid looked fine. The oil was not milky or cloudy and I didn't see any oil under the radiator cap. It started perfectly fine this morning. Strange...

Quick Reply: Trouble starting followed by white smoke.