Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tube Bumper Solution?

Old 09-22-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tube Bumper Solution?

Haven't had the Wrangler two weeks, and the wife puts a good size dent in the front bumper, nailing a fence! I kept my cool, but my insides were SCREAMING!!

Anyway, that's a good excuse for getting rid of the milk jug bumper (which I hate anyway) and putting a tube bumper on the front, like I did with my 2008.

Problem: the existing bumper has fog lights encorporated into the front bumper. If I buy an aftermarket tube bumper, I'm assuming that I will have to extend the wires for the fog lights, and buy some sort of brackets for them, to mount them independently on the new tube bumper, right?

What is the easiest solution?
Old 09-22-2016, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Soupy1957
Haven't had the Wrangler two weeks, and the wife puts a good size dent in the front bumper, nailing a fence! I kept my cool, but my insides were SCREAMING!!

Anyway, that's a good excuse for getting rid of the milk jug bumper (which I hate anyway) and putting a tube bumper on the front, like I did with my 2008.

Problem: the existing bumper has fog lights encorporated into the front bumper. If I buy an aftermarket tube bumper, I'm assuming that I will have to extend the wires for the fog lights, and buy some sort of brackets for them, to mount them independently on the new tube bumper, right?

What is the easiest solution?
i bought some rigids that come with the wiring harness then i bought some cheap ps24w ( i think is the number ) bulbs off ebay. took the ends off so i could use them to plug into the stock harness and used them to make pig tails then just mounted the lights to the bumper and hooked it all up.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Rampage appears to have one that would work without modification to your current harness and fits your double tube desires.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Rampage appears to have one that would work without modification to your current harness and fits your double tube desires.
Not long ago, I had purchased a Jeep Cover and a Spare Tire Cover from Extreme Terrain. I found a Front Bumper with OEM Fog Light locations, and ordered it today.

Last edited by Soupy1957; 09-23-2016 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:12 AM
JK Newbie

Been re-remembering the bumper removal process and am a bit concerned about doing the fog lights correctly, and getting the hold down plugs out of the splash guard strip behind the existing bumper, already the philips head is slipping, and I've resolved to drilling holes in the center of those plugs, but THEN what? Once the holes are there, what's the value? How do I grab and remove them after that? Stick something down that hole to remove them? What? An "easy out?
Old 09-25-2016, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The value on the stock bumper is next to nothing in most places, I wouldn't worry about damaging the stock bumper in any way.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 AM
JK Freak

Default Lamps

Since you are going to do a New Bumper install, you may want to consider better fog lamps at the same time.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by saharaharry
Since you are going to do a New Bumper install, you may want to consider better fog lamps at the same time.
I understand...........there is always "better" out there. I'll be happy to simply get the job done, without error, with the existing OEM lights.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	657467

Got her done this morning!!
Old 09-26-2016, 02:36 PM
JK Freak