Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tuff Stuff Winches

Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuff Stuff Winches

Anyone use or have experience with Tuff Stuff products? Are they high-quality, low cost products, or just cheap? Here is a spec sheet on one. Any knowledgable winch people see problems with the specs?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Specs.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	12651
Old 09-09-2008, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default nothing?

no one has any knowledge of/experience with these winches?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never heard of um. Those are pretty good specs if they are true.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

It took me a while to find it on the web but finally found one on Amazon.com for $499. My .02 is that I'd buy a known and tested product from one of the big winch companies for around the same money before I'd risk my .... tail... in the wilderness with an unknown winch.

If the information listed on Amazon is correct they sound great.

Last edited by pastorsteve; 09-10-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
It took me a while to find it on the web but finally found one on Amazon.com for $499. My .02 is that I'd buy a known and tested product from one of the big winch companies for around the same money before I'd risk my .... tail... in the wilderness with an unknown winch.

If the information listed on Amazon is correct they sound great.
well, that's what i wondered. it sounded good, but i haven't heard anyone that has used one give an opinion. so i wanted to see if anyone on here had any experience with them.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

A lot of these "off-brand" winches comes from the same place in China. They're just painted different colors and have different stickers on them. Gorilla, Smittybilt, Tuff Stuff, Champion all come to mind. Specs look similar to a few of those winches too.

As for reliability, always a big ?
Old 09-11-2008, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi

For the same money, 499, you can get a Warn M8000. I got one. Somebody on here was tellin me when I said Warn was made in USA that they now have a factory in Mexico. While that is true, "MY" winch had "MADE IN USA" on the box, and is also stamped in the case on the winch itself. Doesn't really matter to me. Mexico is better than communist China. It's still a Warn. That beats the snot out of any of that chinese stuff.

Last edited by wayoflife; 09-11-2008 at 05:49 AM. Reason: please refrain from making comments of this nature - thanks
Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
For the same money, 499, you can get a Warn M8000. I got one. Somebody on here was tellin me when I said Warn was made in USA that they now have a factory in Mexico. While that is true, "MY" winch had "MADE IN USA" on the box, and is also stamped in the case on the winch itself. Doesn't really matter to me. Mexico is better than communist China. It's still a Warn. That beats the snot out of any of that chinese stuff.
good to know. thanks.

but let me ask you. assume tuff stuff was high quality, wouldn't a 12,500 be better than the 8,000? i know it's not the size of your winch, it's how you use it, blah, blah, blah, but seriously, what else about the warn (again, assuming the tuff stuff was a quality winch) makes it a better choice? not arguing, just trying to understand. i hear a lot of people telling me not to underestimate the amount of pulling power you need. as a newbie, i'm a long way from having to pull myself out of 2 feet of mud, but all other things being equal, would it not be better to go with a larger pulling capacity?

i will admit, tuff stuff doesn't give itself much of a chance of people taking it seriously with such a name...

Last edited by wayoflife; 09-11-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

"That beats the snot out of any of that chinkese stuff" I am not Chinese and agree we should buy product made in th US, but I dont think your statement is needed in a friendly forum. I am sure there are Asian members here and "chinkese" is not very nice.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:30 AM
JK Jedi

Let me make myself clear. I never said some of that stuff was not good quality. I simply said that for the same money, you can buy an American made product. Even if by chance you get one made in Mexcio, it's still an American company. With the overseas stuff, how do you know it's not assembled by some eight year old girl in a sweat shop? The tuff stuff winch seems to have all of the good things you look for in a winch. It's high HP, series wound and has what appears to be great pulling numbers bt layer. BUT, how is that company's reputation for handling warranty claims? What IS the warranty? 90 days? One year? Can you get replacement parts easily? As far as the difference in the pulling capacity, how does that company measure it? Whose to say that a Warn M8000 won't out pull it? Then again, it might not. With the Warn, you get a KNOWN product. THAT'S enough difference for me right there.

Originally Posted by JKsJK
good to know. thanks.

but let me ask you. assume tuff stuff was high quality, wouldn't a 12,500 be better than the 8,000? i know it's not the size of your winch, it's how you use it, blah, blah, blah, but seriously, what else about the warn (again, assuming the tuff stuff was a quality winch) makes it a better choice? not arguing, just trying to understand. i hear a lot of people telling me not to underestimate the amount of pulling power you need. as a newbie, i'm a long way from having to pull myself out of 2 feet of mud, but all other things being equal, would it not be better to go with a larger pulling capacity?

i will admit, tuff stuff doesn't give itself much of a chance of people taking it seriously with such a name...

Quick Reply: Tuff Stuff Winches