Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Voiding warranty?

Old 11-07-2007, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voiding warranty?

I am expecting my first new JK Unlimited in about a week, and as a long-time admirer, I, too, would like to build my jeep just the way I want- ie lift kit, etc. It seems that all these people are spending an average of $30k on their jeeps, then bringing them home and voiding the warranty almost immediately. Is this not the case, or are all of you just simply willing to take that gamble?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Unless you have a buddy or relative that is a Service Manager at a Jeep Dealership who is willing to "overlook a few things" that could be questionable.....In my opinion YES!!!! You are taking a gamble!! Plain and simple!!!

But if you talk to your dealer Service Manager and find out what he will or will not cover( your planned mods) and you stay with in those parameters....then it INCREASES the ODDS

That is exactly what it is .......My Opinion!! Although true!

Last edited by HULKGREEN; 11-07-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you will take a chance with voiding warranty on certain items.....However, the dealership must be sure that the modified part was the sole cause of the failure before they can say void warranty.

There are dealerships that will be pretty cool and not void warranty by placing a powerchip on the vehicle. I have yet to have my warranty void by placing a CAI system on my last 4 vehicles, placing a cat-back or new exhaust system. As well, they have not voided any warranty with having oversized tires or that matter my diesel truck with 3 inch lift as this is how I bought the truck at the dealership.

Your worst case scenario you have a totally anal service manager if he thinks a CAI, new muffler, bigger tires, lift kit will void warranty.....time to find another dealership! However, if you have a powerchip....I would definitely take it out of the jeep before you get any servicing or warranty work completed on the vehicle.

Unless you have a cool dealer like mine that does not care if I have performance upgrades like Edge Juice with Attitude. If my CTD dies.....he would take the chip out and get the motor work under warranty as they were the ones that installed the chip. However, he did warn me if I was out of town and took it to another dealership....take the chip out as they would record my VIN number and place it in DCX system as my CTD having been chipped and bye bye powertrain warranty.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor

Think twice before escalating a dealer's refusal to do work. Once Chrysler knows about it you can forget it unless you're willing to fight the case with lawyers in regards to the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. You're probably better off just leaving and trying another dealership that wants the money they make from the warranty repairs.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default update

Thanks to those that replied. I decided to just suck it up and ask my salesman...lo and behold...he said the service guys are mostly "jeep" guys, and they continue to honor the warranty after almost any mod!
He even told me which power chip, reprogramming computer, etc., that they are using on their own vehicles! Looks like the jeep's going staight to the after-market 4x4 place after all!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

this is how I get around the warranty problem. After great thought, I figured out what one good breakage would cost me. I put a nominal amount of $500.00 as a figure. Realizing that the service manager and service writer make a year, I realized that they probably dont ever have anybody being nice to them or grateful at the least. Most people ***** them out on a regular basis. Now here is where that 500 bucks comes in. I have had my jeep in for numerous little things so far and all of the issues have been resolved to my satisfaction. Every to or three trips, I take a $25.00 gift car to Olive garden or home depot or something and give it to my service manager/ writer. Low and behold, whenever I need the Jeep worked on, I get it back cleeaner than when I left it and although I have a lift and misc other warranty voiding accessories, he hasnt even mentioned it as an issue. I think I am in good standing and if I ever have an issue, it will be hard for him not to remember the one person that has actually done something nice for him. A little investment will go a long way. Some may argue that I shouldnt have to "pay" to get good service but hey, at least im not loosing sleep wondering if I am going to get good service and warranty work when things go south. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by billycj7; 11-27-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Hummer Rescue Vehicle
...spending an average of $30k on their jeeps, then bringing them home and voiding the warranty almost immediately. Is this not the case, or are all of you just simply willing to take that gamble?
WHAT? My Jeep came with a warranty? The only thing I really expect to be covered is the engine, transmission, and electronics. Everything else I will fix if it breaks.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

That's a good way to look at it...keep expectations at a reasonable level, be nice to the service people, and be prepared to enjoy taking care of whatever they won't.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hummer Rescue Vehicle
I am expecting my first new JK Unlimited in about a week, and as a long-time admirer, I, too, would like to build my jeep just the way I want- ie lift kit, etc. It seems that all these people are spending an average of $30k on their jeeps, then bringing them home and voiding the warranty almost immediately. Is this not the case, or are all of you just simply willing to take that gamble?
I was at my dealer yesterday checking on the status of my ordered Rubicon. There was a lifted X 2dr on the showroom floor. I asked the salesman if they did the lift. He said they did, $7000 for lift, wheels, and 34 inch tires. I asked him if that would void the warranty. He told me it definately would void my lifetime warranty. I would think that if they did the work at the dealership they would honor the lifetime warranty. I guess it just depends on the dealership.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm purchasing an unlimited Rubicon in the next week or so and my dealer said that if they installed the lift kit I provided it will be covered.

I plan to have them install the 2" Superlift (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16158_100.htm) and have them write me a letter on dealer letterhead saying that the regular warranty and lifetime warranty are fully covered with the modification.

Anyone ever tried doing this?

On another note, I'm trading in a heavily modified Land Rover Discovery II and the dealer covered almost everything when I had the extended warranty. It mostly has to do with the relationship you have with the service manager. They covered a new rear hub even with 4" taller tires (29" > 33") But the letter should hold up if you ever need to fight them. (I think?)

Quick Reply: Voiding warranty?