Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wanting to purchase a new JK Unlimited, Question about the models.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to purchase a new JK Unlimited, Question about the models.

I have been eyeing the Wrangler Unlimited for some time now and am ready to jump in.
I have viewed the gallery here on the forum and you guys have many different models and configurations. I have a few questions....hope you have time.

What are the (real, as in value added) difference between the SPORT, SPORT S, SPORT RHD, Sahara and Rubicon.
I usually buy my vehicles with all the bells and wistles, but times have changed and want to get the model with the most bang for the buck. Suggestions?

1. Do I care if my wheel flares are painted or not? Do they fade over time?
2. If I buy a model without the extras; heated seats, etc. can these be added later?
3. Does the installation of off-road tires drastically affect the mileage and spedo?
4. Are there after market part manufactures to stay away from or are there add ons that really have no benefit? ( I love to accessorize )
5. Is this vehicle going to work with a family of five? (wife and three sons)
6. Is there a good time of year to buy? Live in the Midwest.

I am a former member of the nissanclub forum and have contributed to many of their topics including DVD NAV install with all the extras. I really do want to shed my altima and move into something more robust and reliable in bad weather and the Wrangle is my choice. I am sure you have answered these questions 100+ times and I apologize if this seems stale.

Marty C
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most bang for your buck is really hard to say. For some people there are certain options that they have to have like heated seats, where other people would say why do you need heated seats. Find out what you want on your Jeep and then buy the model that has what you want. Unless you plan on offroading a fair amount, the Rubicon is probably not something you need (lockers front and rear, low transfer case gearing, electronic disconnect swaybars, etc.) you most likely will want a Sahara it sounds like. RHD stands for Right Hand Drive.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Marty C
I have been eyeing the Wrangler Unlimited for some time now and am ready to jump in.
I have viewed the gallery here on the forum and you guys have many different models and configurations. I have a few questions....hope you have time.

What are the (real, as in value added) difference between the SPORT, SPORT S, SPORT RHD, Sahara and Rubicon.
I usually buy my vehicles with all the bells and wistles, but times have changed and want to get the model with the most bang for the buck. Suggestions?

2. If I buy a model without the extras; heated seats, etc. can these be added later?
3. Does the installation of off-road tires drastically affect the mileage and spedo?
4. Are there after market part manufactures to stay away from or are there add ons that really have no benefit? ( I love to accessorize )

I am a former member of the nissanclub forum and have contributed to many of their topics including DVD NAV install with all the extras. I really do want to shed my altima and move into something more robust and reliable in bad weather and the Wrangle is my choice. I am sure you have answered these questions 100+ times and I apologize if this seems stale.

Marty C
1. Yes the unpainted ones fade, it's worst in sunny areas or if you don't use a garage. Same for the bumpers as well.

2. They can but it may look non factory and might not be as reliable.

3. Offroad tread lowers gas mileage. In factory trim the SR-A is a low rolling resistance tire, Dueler is a ON-Off highway tire and the BFG's are an off road tire and they're mileage descends
in that order. Speedo is only affected by taller or shorter tires.

4. Too broad a question, do a search before a mod to see pros-cons and tips.

5. Yes, hopefully they are out of car seats though, cause its tight back there and you can only fit two car seats at a time. I recommend a hitch cargo carrier for long trips unless you are a light packer.

6. Not really. Just about everyone seems to be able to get 1% under invoice. I'm not sure that they every put a rebate on it but you might get lucky and see 0% for 36 months.

I travel with two young boys and a dog. I understand your concerns. I think one of the biggest changes has been that we drive closer to 70-74mph fully loaded verse 75-80 in our last SUV. The JKU doesn't always track arrow straight and as the speeds rise on a crowded turnpike I tend to be happier at 70-74. The removable top is nice and overall it's alot more user friendly than I expected.

Last edited by Flip94ta; 11-15-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marty C

Marty,

I think the JKU is great for families. Kids love Jeeps. You will be able to have lots of fun outings with those boys!
You mention you like to accessorize well the JK is the ultimate vehicle for that. Hang onto your wallet!
- pick what you think would be good for YOUR Jeep, do some research and go have fun.

Worst time to buy a Jeep is spring/early summer. (topless season)

Go get your Jeep!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

This is a loaded question where forum sparks might fly from other members, but I'll try to help you out since before I bought my JK, I was kind of wondering the same and ended up doing a lot of research. These are my own "generalizations", some will agree and some will disagree. However, you mentioned "value" and they ALL come with some kind of "value" but that value really lies within your own personal preferences of what you feel fits you best for your needs.

Sport:
This is your base grade standard, no included bells and whistles package and costs the least to get yourself into a Wrangler. Most everything is manual, like manual windows/locks, no air, no electronic luxuries, no fancy radio or audio system, manual trans, basic wheels and rims, standard suspension etc. Some of these things can be added but adds to the price. Like you can get an auto trans and a few other upgrade options that aren't standard.

VALUE:
The value here is that you get the best priced Wrangler which is still capable of off-road use without any bells and whistles for those who want a Wrangler but don't want to pay for those additional bells and whistles.

This is a great option if you plan on building your own off-road use Wrangler where you may be planning on putting on on your own lift, bigger tires, wheels, suspension, skid plates, etc. A lot of people like manual trans for offroad use, so no need to pay additional money for an auto so it comes standard with a manual. So if you plan on rolling your own off road Wrangler and have the time, money and skills to do so, and don't want to be bothered paying for any electronic convenience bells and whistles then this is a great value for you.

Side Note: The reason this model and the Rubicon come standard with the plastic black fenders is because the fenders can bend and won't break into pieces and not get paint scratches when using it for off road use, where you may scrape the fenders on rocks and trees, etc that would otherwise easily damage the painted fenders.

Sport S
This is very similar to the Sport but adds some upgraded aluminum wheels and tires, along with some conveniences like A/C. I'm not sure about power windows/locks but that might also be included.

VALUE: The value here is getting a good priced Wrangler which is still very capable for off road use, but want some upgraded tires/wheels and what some might consider as being essential conveniences like A/C, where you may not plan on doing off-road mods right away but if you do decide to mod for offroad use you're not paying an absorbent amount for upgraded tires/wheels, suspension etc.

Sport RHD
Same as the Sport but if you deliver mail for a living, then this might be the Wrangler for you since the steering wheel is located on the Right Hand side.

Sahara
This is your bells and whistles "convenience" package. Like all the rest it is very capable for off road use, but doesn't come with upgraded suspension, axles etc. It comes standard with items like A/C, power everything, upgraded wheels/tires, power windows/locks, alarm, cruise control, remote start option, electronic traction control, upgraded audio/radio, auto trans, leather and heated seats. All your electronic upgrade options are available. It also comes standard with the painted fenders.

VALUE
The value here is that if you like all your electronic bells and whistles and other conveniences for daily commutes, along with nicer looking aluminum wheels/tires, and prefer the painted fenders, then this is probably the best value for you. It also has value if you want all these items but still might want to add your own off road mods, like suspension, skid plates, beefier axles, lifts, and bigger wheels/tires etc, since you're not paying for those items on the Rubicon package.

I'm obviously bias to this model, since that's the one I chose, so I obviously consider this the "best" value for "me". I like all my electronic conveniences and eventually plan on adding the mods for off road use like beefier axles, suspension, lift, bigger wheels/tires, so I didn't see the need to pay for the off road Rubicon upgrades when my plan would be to get bigger/better of these items in regards to off-road upgrades at a later time.

Rubicon
This is your top of the line option as far as being the most off road capable straight off the lot. It's slightly more expensive than the Sahara package. It comes with beefier axles, beefier suspension, skid plates, better off-road use trans/gear ratio, more off road capable tires, limited slip differentials, electronic sway bar disconnect, etc....etc. However, a lot of the electronic upgrades are not standard on the Rubicon that are standard on the Sahara package, but most of them can be added as additional options. This is the most expensive option. It also comes standard with the black fenders for off road use, but they have recently added the painted fenders as an option also.

Value The value here is that if you want the best performing off-road use Wrangler straight off a dealer lot, then this comes with the upgraded off road essentials. Some people get this option and then find out they want even better off road performance and end up upgrading a lot of these standard Rubicon options with aftermarket upgrades, but for those who don't want to be bothered with aftermarket upgrades for off road use, then this is the best value for them.

You also get the "Rubicon" sticker on the hood which has shown to increase testosterone levels in some of it's owners.

Ok....that last comment is probably going to instigate getting some stones thrown my way. I'll go duck out of the way now.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-15-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well stated. The only thing I would add to that is that if you want the navigation, you will have to get the Sahara or Rubicon, as it is not offered on either Sport model. But, you can get the hands-free Blue Tooth connectivity group and steering wheel radio controls on the Sport model. Also, while the black fenders will fade over time, how quickly depends on if garaged/parked in the shade, etc., and there have been numerous complaints that the paint job quality on the painted fenders is not very good and the paint appears to have hairline cracks, etc. No matter what you choose, it is a fabulous vehicle for a family!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Marty- Are you really going to 4 wheel this, or do you want a mall jeep? Its a serious question to ask.If you are going to go down an occasional dirt road, then I would buy the nicest one you can afford, but not a rubi. If you plan on really wheeling it the Dana 44 diffs and lockers are worth it on the rubicon. However, a $36,000 Rubi still need $10,000 worth of shit bolted on it.

What ever you get, just remember J.E.E.P -Just Empty Every Pocket.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

You really can't go wrong with any model you choose, but DO NOT buy the OEM navigation system. They're a total waste of money. Both the 430N and 730N units are overpriced, antiquated garbage. The navigation app on your cellphone from 3 years ago is still lightyears ahead in performance and features available on these new units today. Get the base radio, pull it out, sell it, and buy yourself an aftermarket system. Any audio shop worth half a shit can easily make your steering wheel controls work with it.

The 730N (RHR) is virtually the same as the RER from 6 years ago minus some software tweaks, yet still will run you $1,800. It's old, sluggish, buggy, and the screen is pathetic (hell, it was awful even by 2007-2008 standards when Chrysler started putting them in Wranglers). You wouldn't buy a 6 year old computer for that price. I absolutely love my Wrangler, but I regret getting the navigation system.

Last edited by Spank; 11-15-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Spank
You really can't go wrong with any model you choose, but DO NOT buy the OEM navigation system. They're a total waste of money. Both the 430N and 730N units are overpriced, antiquated garbage. The navigation app on your cellphone from 3 years ago is still lightyears ahead in performance and features available on these new units today. Get the base radio, pull it out, sell it, and buy yourself an aftermarket system. Any audio shop worth half a shit can easily make your steering wheel controls work with it.

The 730N (RHR) is virtually the same as the RER from 6 years ago minus some software tweaks, yet still will run you $1,800. It's old, sluggish, buggy, and the screen is pathetic (hell, it was awful even by 2007-2008 standards when Chrysler started putting them in Wranglers). You wouldn't buy a 6 year old computer for that price. I absolutely love my Wrangler, but I regret getting the navigation system.
I love my 730N RHR Navi unit.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I love my 730N RHR Navi unit.
Different strokes for different folks. If you dig it and it does everything you need, that's cool. But for the $1,800 price tag, there are far superior options out there.

Quick Reply: Wanting to purchase a new JK Unlimited, Question about the models.