Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Warranty question show stopper

Old 05-24-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Location: Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands, British West Indies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty question show stopper

We've been waiting four months for a new JKU to be delivered to the little island where we live. Finally this week got the word from the dealer it's on the boat, on it's way.

The dealer asked me if I was planning on 'fitting any attachments' myself. I said yeah, the hitches, and they told me that was okay, wouldn't harm the warranty. Then I mentioned that I was planning to change my own oil and filters etc. and got this shocker of an email:

"I just got word back from Chrysler who have informed that during the warranty period if the vehicle is not serviced by the authorized dealer the entire warranty will be voided."

Well, this is upsetting. I have been changing my own oil and filters for something over 40 years. This dealer charges a 300% markup, and once they have your vehicle they go on and on with it, keeping it, finding things you need, charging you by the hour.

My intention was NOT to use this dealer for anything. I posted some questions on other forums asking if anyone had ever had Chysler tell them up front they had to pay dealer prices for oil changes etc. I think I upset some people, because I had no patience for opinions, I was looking for hard experience. So I'll ask you guys, too.

Have any of you ever had warranty issues with Chrysler because you changed your own oil etc? yeah, I know all about keeping receipts and logging mileage and meeting specs with the fluids, etc. That's not my question.

I'm trying to find out if this dealer is telling me the truth about the warranty, but I might turn down the jeep purchase even if it's true.

I cannot imagine me buying a vehicle from a company that won't let me work on it.

Did I mention the cost of a JKU on this island, delivered, is $ 48,000?
Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Gringo
We've been waiting four months for a new JKU to be delivered to the little island where we live. Finally this week got the word from the dealer it's on the boat, on it's way.

The dealer asked me if I was planning on 'fitting any attachments' myself. I said yeah, the hitches, and they told me that was okay, wouldn't harm the warranty. Then I mentioned that I was planning to change my own oil and filters etc. and got this shocker of an email:

"I just got word back from Chrysler who have informed that during the warranty period if the vehicle is not serviced by the authorized dealer the entire warranty will be voided."

Well, this is upsetting. I have been changing my own oil and filters for something over 40 years. This dealer charges a 300% markup, and once they have your vehicle they go on and on with it, keeping it, finding things you need, charging you by the hour.

My intention was NOT to use this dealer for anything. I posted some questions on other forums asking if anyone had ever had Chysler tell them up front they had to pay dealer prices for oil changes etc. I think I upset some people, because I had no patience for opinions, I was looking for hard experience. So I'll ask you guys, too.

Have any of you ever had warranty issues with Chrysler because you changed your own oil etc? yeah, I know all about keeping receipts and logging mileage and meeting specs with the fluids, etc. That's not my question.

I'm trying to find out if this dealer is telling me the truth about the warranty, but I might turn down the jeep purchase even if it's true.

I cannot imagine me buying a vehicle from a company that won't let me work on it.

Did I mention the cost of a JKU on this island, delivered, is $ 48,000?
Don't have experience with that directly but I don't see how they could. The safest best would be to go buy your fluid etc from the dealer and do it yourself that way they can't come back and say it was because you didn't use mopar brand oil (if your that worried about it) I do it myself and log all my records. The reason? I can buy royal purple and do it myself for $10 cheaper than what dealer changes for synthetic oil change. If you just use reg old dino oil get it done at dealer. My brother just got his done for $32 at dealer and they so inspection on everything and let him know his rear axle oil was dirty so good piece of mind
Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nah that's BS. Some say to keep receipts and stuff. That being said I have gotten my oil changed at the dealer before when i lived in apartment for $20-30. Not really too shabby.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd forward the email to Chrysler and ask them if that's correct or if its just this dealers stance on the subject.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then does that mean independent shops are ceritified by Chrysler to service the vehicle? I can't imagine anyway that what they are saying is true.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slider_68
I'd forward the email to Chrysler and ask them if that's correct or if its just this dealers stance on the subject.
I agree this is what I would do
Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of us (most of us) are familiar with the warranty rules and regs here in the U S A .

Yes you can change your own oil and most other routine maintanence (with approved parts) without voiding your vehicles warranty here in the States.

I have no idea about vehicle warranties in other countries. Warranty rules vary from country to country.

ps. Your blog is awesome. I'm jealous.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I bought my 2012 JKU last year and sprung for the Chrysler lifetime warranty. The dealer just told me to same my receipts for any service I did myself and I would be covered.

Quick Reply: Warranty question show stopper