Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Water in jack compartment

Old 11-21-2015, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in jack compartment

Hi. First post on the forum. Got my JKU 3 months ago. Love it.

Just went to get the jack out of the little compartment just in front of the tail gate and the compartment was awash with water. The larger tray further forwards was dry. The carpeting above was dry. When I used a paper shop towel to get it out and rung out the paper there was a suggestion of soap in the water (bubbles) so it may have got in when I was washing it. I use a regular garden hose not a pressure washer.

It did not come in from underneath (around the rubber plug) as when I removed this it was actually a bit stuck thanks to the after-market anti-corrosion coating I had the dealership apply to the underside.

Anyone else have this happen? How is the water getting in?
Old 11-21-2015, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

There's a drain plug in there you could pull to get the water out. It's under your jack.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
There's a drain plug in there you could pull to get the water out. It's under your jack.
Yeah, that's what I meant by the "rubber plug" when I said where the water was not coming from. But where might it be getting in?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Comoxpaddler
Yeah, that's what I meant by the "rubber plug" when I said where the water was not coming from. But where might it be getting in?
Just take the plug out. Water in Water out. Problem solved. Its coming in around the edges of your weatherstripping around glass then treking along jam and pooling in jack box. Pull the plug, let her breath.

Quick Reply: Water in jack compartment