Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Welds on tailgate broke

Old 08-26-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welds on tailgate broke

So I've had 35 in spare for maybe 2 months now and my tailgate welds have already snapped and of course I have to get the annoying rattle the dealership said they won't cover the tailgate( I tried taking it in with the stock spare) so my question is what do I do now?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The_Yeti_NJ
So I've had 35 in spare for maybe 2 months now and my tailgate welds have already snapped and of course I have to get the annoying rattle the dealership said they won't cover the tailgate( I tried taking it in with the stock spare) so my question is what do I do now?
Dont run gear half ass? Some tail gates hold up longer than others. None of them were made to handle that without some mods... you just have to remember with big meats its not about if, but when.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Teraflex hinge or a tire carrier bumper. Or take it to a welder and get the spot welds redone but its just going to break again so tire carrier.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Haha thanks I figured I could get it welded again I just see all these threads for the rattling but never see how they fix it thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

I run a lot of smittybilt gear so I'm also waiting for the xrc atlas bumper which looks sick but according to quadratec they haven't distributed them yet
Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tell me more please

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Teraflex hinge or a tire carrier bumper. Or take it to a welder and get the spot welds redone but its just going to break again so tire carrier.
Where do I look for cracks and where can I get the hinge and carrier you talk about if I do not want the expensive tire/bumper expense. Thanks for the help
Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfdfreddie
Where do I look for cracks and where can I get the hinge and carrier you talk about if I do not want the expensive tire/bumper expense. Thanks for the help

You can get them at several vendors. It is a great product and I have it on my jeep. Here is a cool video about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJnwModQVOE
Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Ran a 35" Trail Grappler with no tire bump stops for about 14 months until I finally got a crack in a spot weld, with another being broken. Pulled the spare off the other day and ordered the Teraflex hinge.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeti, Which tailgate spots welds broke ? The horizontal line of welds or vertical or both ? If you've removed the weighty spare, then rewelding them shouldn't be necessary - my vertical welds busted a few years ago and I've left them as is, and been fine.

What is rattling specifically ? Details needed.

Quick Reply: Welds on tailgate broke