Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What causes tire cupping?

Old 08-27-2011, 03:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What causes tire cupping?

I just noticed my mud tires are cupped on the fronts. The rears are fine but the fronts are uneven in the middle, some lugs are higher and some are lower. I'm running them at 35 psi. Tire shop put then on with 45 psi, but I lowered them same day. They are E rated 10 ply. ( I know way to stiff for a JK)

They are still almost new with 8k miles. What can I do to correct this and save my tread? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-69978296.jpg
Views:	1697
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	203029  
Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Rotate tires regularly. And check your shocks. A bad shock can cause this.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course, proper pressure given tire size and Jeep weight also important.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

You probably need an alignment, to much toe in will cause the uneven treads you are talking about. Bad shocks can do it also. Some places offer a free alignment check with an oil change or other service, I would start there.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very common on front tires only. Cause is stiff suspension. you need to rotate more frequently.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

how old are your shocks and did you upgrade with larger tire? if they allow the tire to "bounce" that will cause cupping.
I also use chalk dust and roll over it to check my tire contact pattern, and rotate with every oil change
Old 08-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NH-JK
I just noticed my mud tires are cupped on the fronts. The rears are fine but the fronts are uneven in the middle, some lugs are higher and some are lower. I'm running them at 35 psi. Tire shop put then on with 45 psi, but I lowered them same day. They are E rated 10 ply. ( I know way to stiff for a JK)

They are still almost new with 8k miles. What can I do to correct this and save my tread? Thanks.
I would rotate and balance the tires and get an alignment asap. Also try lowering your air pressure to 30 psi. Too much pressure will cause wear in middle of tire. E rated tires designed for heavy loads, therefore on a jeep they do better at lower psi
Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same issue here. Only the fronts. Happened before my lift and now after my list. Toe-in is within specs. My tire guy says somewhat normal on M/T's. He hinted at aggressive driving/braking. I'm doing a 5 wheel rotation every 5,000 miles or so
Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Well, I have a brand new set of rubi shocks. My rig is still stock mostly, I've never touched the front end to knock it out of alignment. I guess I can try to lower the psi....

I look into rotation and alignment.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

When you have centre blocks with alternating heights and wear (1 block high and 1 block low) the most common causes are balancing and / or shock issues.
This is caused by the tire "bouncing" and these are the controls for this. The wear in the centre only is indicating a high tire pressure fault causing the tire to run on the centre only rather than the complete contact patch of the tire. If the wear is indicating the front of the block is higher or lower the the rear it indicates the is either slipping on acceleration or braking. This can be aggrivated by poor tire pressure. Sorry I can't help with an exact answer it's hard to tell from the picture.

Quick Reply: What causes tire cupping?