Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What Changes Do You Want In The Next Wrangler?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM
DBF
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Changes Do You Want In The Next Wrangler?

Has anyone started a post on changes we'd like to see in the next wrangler. Jeep is probably pretty far along on the design for the new wrangler, but maybe they would like to hear from enthusiasts. They may not care too much since they know we'll always buy jeeps, warts and all, but we are also their best salespeople. I've driven jeeps since the late 1970's, and they have improved over the years, but I'd like to see some changes in the next design:

1. Get rid of the car carpeting and absorbent sound padding under the carpeting. The carpet attracts every seed, dead bug, twig, blade of grass and what have you, and the padding doesn't dry very fast. There are alternatives - manufacturers like dynamat make waterproof padding, and previous jeeps had more of an indoor-outdoor carpeting

2. Black interiors in a vehicle designed to be driven without a top and off road? It's hot and also shows every seed, twig, leaf, dirt and dust, and ever try to clean a bird dropping off the new seat material in the 2013's?

3. The new soft top material in the 2013's also collects every bit of dirt, dust, and bits of vegetation, and I've given up trying to clean mud stains off of it. The new materials doesn't sound any quieter than the sail cloth in my 07.

4. Strengthen the soft top frame! Both of my TJ's had frames strong enough that I could raise the top by myself from the drivers or passenger side. My 07 Rubicon's top frame was flimsy, and my 2013 is even worse. I need to climb onto the back bumper to lift the top frame up and into position to latch it. All too often it wants to flop back making it almost a two-person operation to raise the top. The 07's straps pulled loose from the frame pop-rivet several times, and they don't seem any better in the 13. A cheap hinge pin has already come apart on the 13.

5. I always buy the dual top option - how about a dual door option as well so I can get the half doors as well as full doors, but don't gouge us too much on the price.

6. Is there a way to make the door windows larger? When driving with the full frame doors on and the top off, it feels like I'm too confined.

7. I'd like a diesel engine so I have the torque I need for off road use and towing, and I'd like it to get decent mileage.

8. Develop better seals for the hard top. Both my 07 and 13 leaked allowing water to run down the center stack of the dash (the radio on the 13 directs water to the inside the dash), causing expensive warranty repairs for the radio and HVAC unit.

9. I have the two door, but I've driven the 4 door, and the rear seat in the four door is hard as a rock and very uncomfortable. I like how the rear seats in the 4 door folds down, but provide a sliding cover (like the Explorers have) so you have a flat storage area.

10. How about a vent in the back of the hardtop for the two-door jeeps This would allow air to flow through the jeep when the hard top is on but the windows are open. The buffeting in the two door JK gets tiring. You don't get this with the four door when you open the back windows since the air can flow through the jeep better. I don't recall the TJ's having such bad buffeting.

That's my wish list. So what would you like to see in the next wrangler?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DBF
Has anyone started a post on changes we'd like to see in the next wrangler. Jeep is probably pretty far along on the design for the new wrangler, but maybe they would like to hear from enthusiasts. They may not care too much since they know we'll always buy jeeps, warts and all, but we are also their best salespeople. I've driven jeeps since the late 1970's, and they have improved over the years, but I'd like to see some changes in the next design:

1. Get rid of the car carpeting and absorbent sound padding under the carpeting. The carpet attracts every seed, dead bug, twig, blade of grass and what have you, and the padding doesn't dry very fast. There are alternatives - manufacturers like dynamat make waterproof padding, and previous jeeps had more of an indoor-outdoor carpeting

2. Black interiors in a vehicle designed to be driven without a top and off road? It's hot and also shows every seed, twig, leaf, dirt and dust, and ever try to clean a bird dropping off the new seat material in the 2013's?

3. The new soft top material in the 2013's also collects every bit of dirt, dust, and bits of vegetation, and I've given up trying to clean mud stains off of it. The new materials doesn't sound any quieter than the sail cloth in my 07.

4. Strengthen the soft top frame! Both of my TJ's had frames strong enough that I could raise the top by myself from the drivers or passenger side. My 07 Rubicon's top frame was flimsy, and my 2013 is even worse. I need to climb onto the back bumper to lift the top frame up and into position to latch it. All too often it wants to flop back making it almost a two-person operation to raise the top. The 07's straps pulled loose from the frame pop-rivet several times, and they don't seem any better in the 13. A cheap hinge pin has already come apart on the 13.

5. I always buy the dual top option - how about a dual door option as well so I can get the half doors as well as full doors, but don't gouge us too much on the price.

6. Is there a way to make the door windows larger? When driving with the full frame doors on and the top off, it feels like I'm too confined.

7. I'd like a diesel engine so I have the torque I need for off road use and towing, and I'd like it to get decent mileage.

8. Develop better seals for the hard top. Both my 07 and 13 leaked allowing water to run down the center stack of the dash (the radio on the 13 directs water to the inside the dash), causing expensive warranty repairs for the radio and HVAC unit.

9. I have the two door, but I've driven the 4 door, and the rear seat in the four door is hard as a rock and very uncomfortable. I like how the rear seats in the 4 door folds down, but provide a sliding cover (like the Explorers have) so you have a flat storage area.

10. How about a vent in the back of the hardtop for the two-door jeeps This would allow air to flow through the jeep when the hard top is on but the windows are open. The buffeting in the two door JK gets tiring. You don't get this with the four door when you open the back windows since the air can flow through the jeep better. I don't recall the TJ's having such bad buffeting.

That's my wish list. So what would you like to see in the next wrangler?
you made some good points and i hate to be negative but:
just take your carpet out.
they already make non black interiors.
drive with your back window open.
all jeep tops leak from time to time.
all soft tops will get dirty, thats the nature of fabric.
...my 2 cents...
take it or leave it.
plus we're all going to keep buying jeeps as long as they make them no matter what they do and they know it.
it has gotten better every year though.
i just wish theyd settle on the damn colors. every time i buy one they dont make the color i want.
its always they year after or before and they cant be found...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Better fuel economy by creating an engine similar to the break through water cell fuel engine that never made it to the auto industry. It ran on any type of water. The inventor, Stanley Meyer died right when it was about to become main stream. He drove from L.A. to New York on one tank of water! Cause of his death? Poisoning. Hmm. It would also be nice to have the next Jeep lighter in overall weight.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

A true righthand drive instead of the JK cramped right foot well.
Better seats with more bottom support.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 PM
JK Freak

1. Bye bye Dana 30's forever, 44's on every model but the Rubicon which should have 60's.
2. Jeep wrangler models as follows:

Sport - Soccer mom Jeep #1 with the basics
Sahara - Soccer Mom Heep #2, Luxury model with all the niceties
Overland - Expedition style with True-Trac LSD's front and rear, cages racks etc, 2" lift, 33's
Moab - Tru-lock locker in the rear, truetrac lsd front, off road bumpers, 3" lift, 35's
Tellico - Trulock lockers front and rear, Dana 60 rear, dana 44 front, 3" lift, 35's, optional 4-1 TC
Rubicon - Set up same as now with Dana 60's front and rear, 4" lift, 35's with optional 37's

Offroad basic pkg with bedliner instead of carpet, less frills and more utility.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
1. Bye bye Dana 30's forever, 44's on every model but the Rubicon which should have 60's.
2. Jeep wrangler models as follows:

Sport - Soccer mom Jeep #1 with the basics
Sahara - Soccer Mom Heep #2, Luxury model with all the niceties
Overland - Expedition style with True-Trac LSD's front and rear, cages racks etc, 2" lift, 33's
Moab - Tru-lock locker in the rear, truetrac lsd front, off road bumpers, 3" lift, 35's
Tellico - Trulock lockers front and rear, Dana 60 rear, dana 44 front, 3" lift, 35's, optional 4-1 TC
Rubicon - Set up same as now with Dana 60's front and rear, 4" lift, 35's with optional 37's

Offroad basic pkg with bedliner instead of carpet, less frills and more utility.
I like it. They'll never do it, but I like it.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:20 AM
CT2
JK Enthusiast

#1, all aluminum v8 with a 6 sp auto
Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CT2
#1, all aluminum v8 with a 6 sp auto
Manual please!!! And how about the 3.5L ford ecoboost that makes 365 hp, and 420 ft-lbs @2500 rpms and whoop a hemi's ass and still get 23-25 mpg in a wrangler.

If you've never driven one, that thing has some power! I laughed at my dad for not getting a 5.0 until I drove it.

Last edited by kh202; 07-19-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kh202

Manual please!!! And how about the 3.5L ford ecoboost that makes 365 hp, and 420 ft-lbs @2500 rpms and whoop a hemi's ass and still get 23-25 mpg in a wrangler.

If you've never driven one, that thing has some power! I laughed at my dad for not getting a 5.0 until I drove it.
Agreed! Ever since I drove an ecoboost F150 I've been thinking and saying the same thing. That thing is awesome. I'd rather have that upgrade than a JK hemi - too bad it's an impossibility.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by juke

Agreed! Ever since I drove an ecoboost F150 I've been thinking and saying the same thing. That thing is awesome. I'd rather have that upgrade than a JK hemi - too bad it's an impossibility.
Yeah, not sure how the turbos would do with water, but I know they put a stock ecoboost engine in a Baja truck and beat the hell out of it in the desert for 500 or 1000 miles

Quick Reply: What Changes Do You Want In The Next Wrangler?