Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What did i do?

Old 08-09-2013, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did i do?

went wheeling and after coming over a steep hill climb, didnt realize a large revine on the passanger side. by the time i stopped (just in time) i had the jk doing the balance dance on 2 tires, the driver side front and pass rear on the ground. after getting winched back andn making it around the revine, i notice a metal hitting noise in my front end driver side. im thinking m somehow moved my tie rod bc it sits in my 15" rim a lot closer then the other side, but my allignment isnt off anymore then earlier... if thats the case, what should i do?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 Change underwear and relax
#2 Take it to a capable shop and get it fixed
#3 Keep enjoying your Jeep

Hopefully is something simple, I had a creaking noise going over speed bumps and it turned out my JKS quick discos needed greasing.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Pictures help. Take pictures of your area of concern and post them. Look for metal wear, as in something that making metal to metal contact. Get a friend to move the wheel around while you look underneath.

It's your jeep and you should be able to know how to fix it of you break it. If you can't, at least you can pin point it. Get fellow jeepers involved and they might know the problem.

Leave the shop as your last resort. Nothing like paying $400 for them to "diagnose" the problem and fix something simple.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack
Pictures help. Take pictures of your area of concern and post them. Look for metal wear, as in something that making metal to metal contact. Get a friend to move the wheel around while you look underneath.

It's your jeep and you should be able to know how to fix it of you break it. If you can't, at least you can pin point it. Get fellow jeepers involved and they might know the problem.

Leave the shop as your last resort. Nothing like paying $400 for them to "diagnose" the problem and fix something simple.
This x2... The day my jeep ever sees a shop to do all the work is the day i decide i probably shouldn't have it..
Old 08-09-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

You might have knocked something out of alignment while doing the two wheel balancing act. Have someone sit behind the wheel and turn the tires back and forth from left to right while you are in front watching the front end steering linkage and suspension. Shouldn't be too hard to spot what/when the rubbing is happening.

It's definitely nice to have the ability to work on your own Jeep, but I don't remember having to fill out a mechanical aptitude test at the dealership before buying my Jeep. Not all of us have the background to do major mechanical work on our rigs.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ghost63

It's definitely nice to have the ability to work on your own Jeep, but I don't remember having to fill out a mechanical aptitude test at the dealership before buying my Jeep. Not all of us have the background to do major mechanical work on our rigs.
I'm not a mechanic, just a man. It just seems more and more people are reliant on others to fix there problems. Self sufficient and being able to tackle a problem should be common place.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack
I'm not a mechanic, just a man. It just seems more and more people are reliant on others to fix there problems. Self sufficient and being able to tackle a problem should be common place.
Seems that this is a trait less common these days.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the axle on a jack or jackstand and turn it. See if you can pinpoint the noise. Might just be a bent becking plate or a stick or rock or something stuck in there.

Quick Reply: What did i do?