Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What do the initials stand for: JK, TJ, YJ, CJ?

Old 11-24-2006, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do the initials stand for: JK, TJ, YJ, CJ?

Last Friday, my wife and I got our 2007 Jeep Wrangler X. I previously owned a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport and my wife has owned a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport.

I understand that the CJ jeep apparently stood for "civilian jeep." Then, in 1987 Jeep created the first Wrangler, which was referred to as the YJ, and followed by the TJ in 1997. Now, Jeep Wranglers are referred to as JK.

Does anyone know what the initials, YJ, TJ, and JP stand for? I know that the designations refer to the separate body styles that the Jeep is built in or on. But, surely the initials refer to something or stand for something. I would appreciate it if anyone knows this and could enlighten us.

From various Internet sights, I've found the following explanations for the Jeep's history. But, no mention of JK, YJ, or TJ.

"In 1939 the U.S. Army invited proposals for a new military vehicle to replace its aging fleet of motorcycles and Ford Model T trucks. Three companies eventually responded with prototypes: Ford Motor Company, Willys-Overland, and American Bantam Car Company. The production contract was awarded to Willys in July 1941. Ford agreed to build from Willys’ plans and Bantam built trailers for the Willys vehicle.

Then, the Ford entrant in the design competition was called the “GP,” which in Ford parlance stood for “Government 80 in wheelbase Reconnaissance Car” (Willys called their design the “MB.”). “The word, ‘jeep’ came from the name of the character ‘Eugene the Jeep,’ introduced in the Popeye comic strip in 1936. The association of ‘jeep’ with the small four-wheel drive vehicle, however, wasn’t made until a few years later. The Army designated these sturdy little trucks ‘General Purpose,’ or ‘G.P.’ for short. To soldiers raised on Popeye, the transformation of ‘G.P.’ into ‘jeep’ was inevitable, and so pervasive that the Willys-Overland Motor Company trademarked the name ‘Jeep’ in 1940.

When slurred, “GP” led to the name “jeep,” which stuck to the small four-wheel-drive vehicle even though the Willys design actually won the competition and Ford ended up building the Willys design. Following World War II, public demand was so high that Willys continued producing the Jeep in tremendous numbers, re-designated as the “CJ-2A” (CJ for “civilian Jeep”). The vehicle was produced for the Army in continually improved versions until 1981, when it was replaced by the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (the “Hummer”).”

If anyone has seen or heard an explanation of these initials, I would appreciate anything you could share with me.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 02:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

its just a model ID, it means just that... JK,TJ,YJ,LJ, WJ,
Old 11-24-2006, 07:16 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup, what he said, they're just model codes given to each new Jeep
Old 11-24-2006, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finally I know. I've had a YJ for years but never cared enough to find out. Thanks
Old 11-25-2006, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JK stands for

it looks like a hummer---- Just Kidding

sorry a bad joke I know.

where dit you get the jeep history. it is correct. Most historys are filled with the flawd General Purpose definition for the Ford naming convention.

Proud owner of a Ford GPW
Old 11-26-2006, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks to all. I still think the letters have to stand for or represent something. I don't think they just pull two letters out of thin air. But, since I can't seem to prove otherwise, I guess I will just have to accept that answer.

In response to gpwpat. Well, I found that history from several sources. I just did a google search on JP. The few sources I found that information from included Hill Aerospace Museum, Hill Air Force Base in Utah; The Word Detective, Wikipedia, and Answers.com.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RenoosRemoob
Thanks to all. I still think the letters have to stand for or represent something. I don't think they just pull two letters out of thin air. But, since I can't seem to prove otherwise, I guess I will just have to accept that answer.
Seriously, that's all it really is. For whatever it's worth, the JK was actually going to be called the TK until someone at DC decided to change it to something that still had a "J" in it.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, at first mention of the 07's I thought it was TK, like following TJ alphabetically.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Ubique

Not sure what JK stands for.

CJ = Civilian Jeep
TJ = Trendy Jeep
YJ = Yuppy Jeep
Old 01-29-2007, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Ubique
Not sure what JK stands for.

CJ = Civilian Jeep
TJ = Trendy Jeep
YJ = Yuppy Jeep
JK = Just Kick'n a$$ Jeep.

Quick Reply: What do the initials stand for: JK, TJ, YJ, CJ?