Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What happened to 4.0....V6

Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to 4.0....V6

I love my 08. its been fun and rewarding most days to drive it, but it does need power..I know of hemi, LS, RIPP, and now sprintex..out of those I would do an LS swap, but funds not available for that. So, in 07-08 dodge put a v6 4.0 in the nitro rt. It would seem to be an easy swap...bigger hp/torque and better mpg. What happened to it? Any one know?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in for a answer as sell.......
Old 10-02-2012, 03:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JKcricket
What happened to it? Any one know?

Didn't comply with emissions control standards and MPG standards.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Didn't comply with emissions control standards and MPG standards.
I believe you are talking about the I4, I'm referring to the V-6 (basically is a hyped up version of the 3.6), also comes with step/ auto trans!!! Just imagine...
Old 10-02-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

They replaced all the old V6's (3.5, 3.7, 3.8, 4.0, etc) with the new Pentastar 3.6 V6 in all Chrysler, Dodge, Ram & Jeep vehicles (with possibly a few exceptions). The V6 4.0, which I have in my wife's van, is about the same as far as HP as the Pentastar, but does not get as good MPG's. I beleive this is the same engine you are referring too and dates back to the 90's with some minor HP and MPG improvements, but overall quite outdated now. The Pentastar provides similar performance, but better MPG's and has the ability to be further develpoed to make it even more efficient, whereas the old engines had pretty much been worked as much as they could.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scouter4life
They replaced all the old V6's (3.5, 3.7, 3.8, 4.0, etc) with the new Pentastar 3.6 V6 in all Chrysler, Dodge, Ram & Jeep vehicles (with possibly a few exceptions). The V6 4.0, which I have in my wife's van, is about the same as far as HP as the Pentastar, but does not get as good MPG's. I beleive this is the same engine you are referring too and dates back to the 90's with some minor HP and MPG improvements, but overall quite outdated now. The Pentastar provides similar performance, but better MPG's and has the ability to be further develpoed to make it even more efficient, whereas the old engines had pretty much been worked as much as they could.
Ok. Thanks..makes sense. So basically we are stuck with a tank with no juice.. lol. Guess I will have to save for a ls

Old 10-02-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do the math...

NOTHING compares to forced induction. Period. Thats why after you do a V8 swap, you do forced induction anyway. Quick lesson...

Atmospheric conditions at sea level are 14.7 PSI... So at seal level your 3.8 makes 220hp or about 58 hp per liter- or JUST UNDER ONE HP PER CUBIC INCH.

So- what would be easier? Ad a bigger engine to pump more air, or pump more air into the engine? Thats up to you.

HERE COMES THE IRRIFUTABLE MATH: EVERY 14.7LBS of boost you inject into ANY combustion engine will DOUBLE ITS POWER as long as you can provide the fuel, air and spark it needs. (tuning) Therefore 7.3LBS of boost would give you 50% more power... without an intercooler and on pump gas usually. My personal preference is 10LBS which gives about 80%.

How you make the boost is where the debate comes in- the fact that boost makes more power dollar-to-dollar than ANY N/A engine is simple physics and economics.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

I've never seen a 4.0 V6, just an I6.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It never existed....

the I6 however was phased out because it couldnt meet emissions regulations.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
I've never seen a 4.0 V6, just an I6.
Originally Posted by D_engel
It never existed....

the I6 however was phased out because it couldnt meet emissions regulations.
You're thinking in the Wranglers they never used the 4.0 V6, but it does exist and has been used in many vehicles.

Quick Reply: What happened to 4.0....V6