Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What Model Should I Buy

Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Model Should I Buy

I've had a 2001 TJ sport for awhile now and i'm considering getting a JK but i'm not sure what model to get. I plan on using it as my daily driver with some off road use. I do plan on getting a lift and 33s or maybe 35's on it. I like the sound of having a Rubicon but i'm not sure if it's worth the extra cash...
Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

The one good thing about the Rubicon is that you get a warranty with all the add ons. It's ready to go out of the box. If you plan on modding yourself, a sport makes more sense.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Which JK?

I agree with Ryan0260. If you wanna drive it straight from the dealership without doing many mods, the Rubicon would be
better. But if your planning on doing a significant lift, bigger tires, etc... you may want to save the money up front and
use the money for the lift, tires, gears, shocks, trackbars, control arms, swaybar disconnect, yadda, yadda. If you've had
a wrangler, you already know what toys you're gonna want. Either way, you'll be happy.

Jeremy
Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
The one good thing about the Rubicon is that you get a warranty with all the add ons. It's ready to go out of the box. If you plan on modding yourself, a sport makes more sense.
x2, go with the tubivon
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

2 ways to go cheap and do everything yourself with your choice of mods
Or expensive and all the toys from the factory and minimal mods
Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie

I like my way of going cheap initially. Couldn't pull a Rubicon in the beginning, and actually i'm glad i didn't. I have had much more fun building my Jeep.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Well I'm definitely planning on doing some of my own modding, so I guess I just need to look for the best deal because it sounds like i can't go wrong either way...
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After wheeling my sport for a year I know how capable it is for the kind of terrain I go on and I really don't need lockers, so I don't regret not getting a rubi... I chose to use the money I would have spent on the Rubi on getting my lift and 35's b/c a little more ground clearance is more important than lockers for the terrain I am most commonly on. Obviously if you are on terrain that requires lockers more than ground clearance you would be better off with the rubi.

But if you have the cash for the Rubi, its not a bad deal for what you get and it will hold its value a little better than a sport. But all Wranglers have good resell value so you can't really go wrong with either.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I kind of regret going with a Rubicon but it is nice on the trails. Just wish I used the extra for mods.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I have had many people say that the rubicon is a waste of money. But when they get stuck and they don't have lockers and I pull them out it makes me laugh. I would spend the money on one. It's less money and butt pain you have to put in to it later. And a 30 will support 35 tires but a 44 will support them with out you having to worry about it.

Quick Reply: What Model Should I Buy