Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What tow vehicle for trailering my JK?

Old 11-27-2016, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What tow vehicle for trailering my JK?

I have a modified JK that is my daily driver that I hope to turn into a trailer princess one day. But I am having trouble identifying a budget friendly tow vehicle that will become my more-often-than-not DD.

I live in NE Ohio, and the terrain is mostly flat, but taking the Jeep out to Moab, Colorado and the Rubicon are on my bucket list. I also take the Jeep into PA, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee. Looking forward to visiting the US Northeast.

I'm trying to keep my total spend between $12K and $15K, which I know won't get me anything near current. And I'm fine with an older truck.

I like they styling of the F-150 crew cab over the other manufacturers, but I am open to other models. The trouble is identifying an engine and transmission combination that would work well as a tow vehicle. I know there are some combinations that are much less than ideal.

I am looking for some help in figuring out what to start looking for. I have some time before the funds will be freed up to pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I have a modified JK that is my daily driver that I hope to turn into a trailer princess one day. But I am having trouble identifying a budget friendly tow vehicle that will become my more-often-than-not DD. I live in NE Ohio, and the terrain is mostly flat, but taking the Jeep out to Moab, Colorado and the Rubicon are on my bucket list. I also take the Jeep into PA, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee. Looking forward to visiting the US Northeast. I'm trying to keep my total spend between $12K and $15K, which I know won't get me anything near current. And I'm fine with an older truck. I like they styling of the F-150 crew cab over the other manufacturers, but I am open to other models. The trouble is identifying an engine and transmission combination that would work well as a tow vehicle. I know there are some combinations that are much less than ideal. I am looking for some help in figuring out what to start looking for. I have some time before the funds will be freed up to pull the trigger. Thanks in advance.
Any of the properly equipped half-tons would be just fine. We pulled a boat weighing 10k with my dad's '14 ram 1500 Laramie crew with no issues. GM trucks and ford would be just fine too. Not as familiar with the Tundra or Titan but I'm sure they have capable towing packages. All down to personal preference in my opinion. Good luck finding the "best"
Old 11-27-2016, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I appreciate the feedback. But I never asked for what would be "best". Just looking for options. The most valuable information may be what to avoid. I recall a conversation I had with someone a long time ago where it was mentioned that certain years of F150s had engines or transmissions that would not less than ideal for towing a JK on a 10K rated trailer, especially in hilly terrain or the mountains. But I don't remember any of the specifics.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm helping my son shop for a truck. I'm partial to the early 1990's vintage diesels. I've recently found a couple of low mile single owner dodge diesels from 1993 for around $15k. They looked sweet and would be able to tow. Another option - the ford ecoboost is a towing beast and makes for a great DD, though a bit above for budget.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Personally I would not do anything less then a 3/4 ton diesel for a tow rig but with that budget its going to be tough. You might find some late 90's or early 2000's in 2wd for your budget, I would expect over 200,000 miles on them as well.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:35 AM
GJK
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would avoid Nissan Titans as they have been known for weak rear ends and problems towing on a frequent basis. I agree with an older diesel option.

Quick Reply: What tow vehicle for trailering my JK?