Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What Would You Build for Moab?

Old 01-11-2017, 01:23 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What Would You Build for Moab?

With Moab/EJS three months away, the inevitable water cooler debate started up about how would a typical person build a Jeep up for Moab? Two-door for shorty fun, or a four-door so family or friends could tag along on the trail? Stick with 35s and enjoy the easier trails, or bolt on 39s and tackle the tough trails? What would you do to beef things up so you didn't have to worry about fixing stuff trailside? Would you start with a Jeep that's got an automatic, or a manual?
Old 01-11-2017, 02:21 PM
JK Junkie

Speaking of this event. I need to Replace my front axle. I want to put in a 30 Spline Eaton E-locker in my non Rubi JK what are the part #'s that will work with my 2013 2 Door JK non Rubicon?

I basically want one with 4.88's shafts and -Eaton E-locker that I can just drop in port over the knuckles, Brakes and be good to go.

I think the typical person would just make sure they had the right gears for their tires and enjoy the park. Some like me would want to upgrade the D30. I feel like my D30 with the Eaton E-locker is just a time bomb eating to happen. That takes away from the fun worrying If I'm going to grenade my R&P.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

trying to delete

Last edited by jadmt; 01-13-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

For a daily driver I would go with a 4 door, 2.5-3.5" lift quality lift. maybe some cromo axle shafts and 35" tires with automatic. add a few skid plates ie gas tank skid and lower control arm skids. This would enable you to drive 1000 miles comfortably to Moab and drive back again and while you were in Moab enable you to do medium trials like Rose Garden Hill, Kane Creek, Golden spike without much fuss. Of course if I had a dyntrac prorock front axle I would say 37's for sure but on a stock front end 35's will allow you to do those trails and if at EJS you probably have some good spotters so can even do some harder trails than the ones mentioned.
A build like was mentioned has proven reliable on those trails as well as the Rubicon trial and the Dusy Ershim.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Speaking of this event. I need to Replace my front axle. I want to put in a 30 Spline Eaton E-locker in my non Rubi JK what are the part #'s that will work with my 2013 2 Door JK non Rubicon?

I basically want one with 4.88's shafts and -Eaton E-locker that I can just drop in port over the knuckles, Brakes and be good to go.

I think the typical person would just make sure they had the right gears for their tires and enjoy the park. Some like me would want to upgrade the D30. I feel like my D30 with the Eaton E-locker is just a time bomb eating to happen. That takes away from the fun worrying If I'm going to grenade my R&P.
We don’t make upgrades for a Dana 30…we build solutions that people don’t need to worry about, and we don’t feel the Dana 30 is a good foundation for that.

But, we do have a couple of things that were developed specifically for upgrading a non-Rubicon JK. First, we can build an assembled ProRock 44 with your choice of locker and gears. It will also come with axleshafts, balljoints (OEM replacement or Dynatrac HD Rebuildable Balljoints), a Pro Series nodular iron diff cover and the axle-mounted control arm bushings will already be installed in the housing.

We also just introduced the Trail Leader Package which upgrades the front and rear. This package comes with a front ProRock 44 like we just described above and our JK44 35-spline rear Dana 44 axlehsaft upgrade kit for the rear. This package includes an ARB Air Locker front and rear, and the rear package also includes ring-and-pinion, a gear setup kit and a Pro Series nodular iron diff cover. The front axle comes assembled and the gears are set up already. The rear will require that you (or a shop) install the locker, gears, axleshaft and diff cover. We put this package together to match the front and rear axles in strength and durability, and bundling it together allows us to offer a lower price.

Here’s the link to the new Trail Leader Package: https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemb...e-package.html

Last edited by Dynatrac; 01-12-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:29 PM
JK Junkie

I'm just interested in the front 44 for non rubicons that will take the full 30 spline eaton elocker. The rubicon 44 elocker is a weak 2 pinion design and it's a smaller housing.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:36 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I'm just interested in the front 44 for non rubicons that will take the full 30 spline eaton elocker. The rubicon 44 elocker is a weak 2 pinion design and it's a smaller housing.
No problem -- we can build that. Our ProRock 44 housing starts at $2,159. There are quite a few options, and we're happy to price it with the locker, gears and axlshafts of your choice installed. You can swap over your knuckles and brakes. Give us a call at 714-421-4314.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathan_jk
i'm just interested in the front 44 for non rubicons that will take the full 30 spline eaton elocker. The rubicon 44 elocker is a weak 2 pinion design and it's a smaller housing.
.. Fyi
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3041139251.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	664367   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3851606601.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	664368  
Old 01-12-2017, 02:42 PM
JK Junkie

All 2012+ Dana 44 Eaton Elockers are now 4 Pinion. I know because I made sure I had the right part # when I got the 44 E-locker for my rear. I believe Dynatrac is one of the few companies that makes a Full blown true 44 front for non rubicon's. The rubicon front dana 44 is a smaller housing from what I'v been told.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the "if I won the lottery" question? If so, 4 door with factory half doors, custom cage, long arm, coilovers, PR80 and 60, 40's, etc.

Quick Reply: What Would You Build for Moab?