Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What would you do if this happened to you?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do if this happened to you?

Hello,

I was driving home in my JK for lunch today. I live in a small town in Canada and my speed was slow, around 40km/h. A loud pop occurs and my car felt wobbly, so I turn to the curb and got off to look, only to find that my driver's side rear wheel had popped off and the rotor was sitting on the inside rim of the wheel. After managing to swop on the spare tire I took the vehicle to a tire place, and the owner there said that the nuts were loose and just popped off and the rim showed signs of that. I just had the vehicle serviced 4 weeks ago, and I know they rotated the tires, so I phoned the dealership that did the service and the person there said that it's more likely that someone was trying to steal my rims and left it loose. I have an aftermarket alarm system with tilt sensor and it's one of the Compustar systems that sends an email and alerts my phone and if someone was trying to steal the rims I would have gotten an alarm. I also live in a rural area where this kind of thing just doesn't happen. But I can't prove that the nuts were not tightened enough during the tire rotation and had gradually loosened over time. So, I'm now left with a rim that I can't use anymore according to the tire place, and I can't get a replacement because its an American Racing rim that has been discontinued, and that means I would have to get a whole new set. The insurance company's response was that it wasn't an accident and thus cannot submit a claim based on that. The dealership is not showing any willingness to take responsibility presently.

What would you do if this happened to you? Not to blow it out of proportions but if this happened at speed on a highway deaths could have occurred...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Take the so called messed up wheel to another tire place ( do not tell them what happen ) and move it to the spare

The other issue always do your own work , if not double check whoever just worked on your jeep

I bought new tires 2weeks ago as soon as I got home I made sure to retorque my wheels , why because I don't trust people

Sorry about what happen but you learned something about insurance and let other people work on your stuff
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man, that blows. Unfortunately, I think you're gonna have to bite the bullet on this one. I don't think you're going to have a case with the dealership. I think the previous poster had a good idea about taking the wheel to another shop and have them swap it. I can feel your frustration, but thankfully you weren't in an accident and no one was hurt. This could have turned out a lot worse. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have the other wheels been touched yet? If they haven't I would go to the shop and have every nut checked with a torque wrench. See what kind of numbers you get.

If the values are off by a lot and they still refuse to make it right. Then I would give them a bad review on every internet site possible and report them to whatever agency you have up there. In the USA it would be the BBB and state attorney generals office.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could any one have messed with it at work? They might have loosened the lug nuts prior to lifting it and gotten scared off? Discontinued wheels means yours are that more valuable .4 weeks is a long time for this to show up.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

What I would do

Click image for larger version

Name:	B3Sn8JX.gif
Views:	2
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	680122

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

First, thank the Big Guy upstairs that you weren't hurt! Second, never trust another mechanic so long as you live!! Not saying never use a mechanic ever...just never trust them and double check everything they do no matter what kinda looks they give you! Sorry, for the misfortune but glad you're okay!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Hi and thank you all for the replies.

I'm definitely going to double check from now on, I really can't imagine if this happened at speed.

I wish I could just re-use that rim as a spare though, but I only have 4 of them and my spare is just a black steel rim, so the only way I can get them matched is to buy a whole new set. The tire place owner did check all the other rims and said he could tighten them more.

Lesson learnt.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	433420

Last edited by SHOR3N; 03-13-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SHOR3N
Hi and thank you all for the replies.

I'm definitely going to double check from now on, I really can't imagine if this happened at speed.

I wish I could just re-use that rim as a spare though, but I only have 4 of them and my spare is just a black steel rim, so the only way I can get them matched is to buy a whole new set. The tire place owner did check all the other rims and said he could tighten them more.

Lesson learnt.
Live and learn.
Rule#1 - ALWAYS check your lug nuts as soon as you get home from any service work on the vehicle. If you had an oil change, then check your oil etc. Never trust dealers, retailers or any shop. No matter how good they are people make mistakes. Check again a week or two later and re-tighten if necessary.
Rule#2 - ALWAYS buy 5 matching rims if it's possible to always have a complete set because we all know shit happens

If you damaged the vehicle you could've claim comprehensive if you hit a pot hole etc I'm pretty sure. But it's cheaper in the long run to just go buy some steelies as it's only $400-500 for set usually. Rims are the cheap part, the tires are the expensive part so you got lucky in that respect
Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Glad to hear you weren't hurt and your JK is okay. I have to agree with one of the previous posters that 4 weeks is a long time for loose lug nuts. If they were left loose form the dealer it is most likely that it would of turned up sooner.
As for the bad rim, search the net, ebay, craigslist etc. Even though it is a discontinued rim, there are probaly a few singles floating around out there...new and used.

Quick Reply: What would you do if this happened to you?