Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

wheel spacers

Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's funny. I was on Amazon yesterday pricing around, and both RR and Spidertrax "adapters" are referred to as spacers there as well. And they bolt on. I guess they don't even know what to call them.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cutman
It's funny. I was on Amazon yesterday pricing around, and both RR and Spidertrax "adapters" are referred to as spacers there as well. And they bolt on. I guess they don't even know what to call them.
I always thought they are called "adapters" when they change the bolt pattern (adapt). And they are called "spacers" when they have the same bolt pattern
Old 08-04-2015, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman
Interesting, I just did a little digging as well, they all seem to be marketing them as "Wheel Spacer Adapters" or "Adapters/Spacers." I'm not surprised, the same thing has happened to wheels/rims.

I just know that if you ask most national tire stores and wheel manufacturers if the recommend "spacers" they'll say "no." And they won't touch a vehicle equipped with them. The few instances I've asked about adapters they've said they just won't install them, but they could care less if I had them.

I've used adapters for years and never had an issue with a national chain refusing to remove, install, or balance my tires. It may have been regional or based on the knowledge of the installer, who knows at this point. In the end I guess it doesn't really matter what they're called...it seems that every term in our society is in a metamorphic state. I'll probably always call them adapters and everyone else can call them shims, spacer, adapters, bacon, or whatever. I guess we'll all just have to work a little harder to understand what we all mean.

BIG JEEP WAVE.

Quick Reply: wheel spacers