Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wheel / Tire Advice 285/75/16 - Street and Sand

Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel / Tire Advice 285/75/16 - Street and Sand

Searched and searched and did quite a bit of research on what wheel and tire size to go with. All the posts provided great information. I plan on going with 285/75/16 on a Black Rock 942 16 inch D wheel. I do not want to do a lift but have determined that this will be ok based on feedback from other JK owners. My real question is tire selection. My off roading is limited to loose beach sand. So I don't need any type of rock crawling tire. My ideal tire would be good for around town but also appropriate for sand (when aired down of course) and snow. I hope someone has some ideas for me. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Go to jpmagazine.com and check out their tire ratings. After reading that I chose the Goodyear Duratracs and you will see why.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From all I have heard, All-Terrains are the best tires for sand use. At least here in Mass. Our beach sand is pretty fine, so you definitely need good floatation.

I think Duratracs would be a good choice. If you want a more tame street-oriented tire, I am very happy with my Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo 2's.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

The jpmagazine article was a great resource! Thanks so much. After reviewing everything, I am leaning towards the Goodyear Silent Armor. I think it's most suited to my driving conditions.

Now I just need to decide on TPMS. I am considering just picking up the AEV Procal to get rid of it. That is the easiest thing in my mind. It'll cost less and I monitor the tire pressure regularly anyway.

Quick Reply: Wheel / Tire Advice 285/75/16 - Street and Sand