Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wheeling an expensive Jeep.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:34 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-22-2017, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Mine bout went over this last weekend and I immediately thought of this thread. LOL. The worst part was buddy was driving so I didn't have control. He got it in a bad situation, I got out to take a look, and he tried reverse which really compounded things and started to send it over. I was standing in front and seeing it unfold like an out of body experience......but instead of my life flashing in front of me, it was all my hard work and effort. My jeep has been a big money vacuum, but it was more all the time I had invested in it that made me cringe when it was rocking over. I've had a little damage in the past, but this would have been a full on tumble

I didn't buy mine to be a pavement warrior. It's lucky if it gets washed a couple times a year, and the inside is typically dirty from wheelin' trips. I don't really get the folks that buy em and don't really use em as they have to be one of the most senseless vehicles on the road, but to each their own. May as well enjoy the one life you have to live. All these material objects can be replaced.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting discussion..
I hear ya Marblehead - I was under no impression that a lift and 35s would IMPROVE on-road ability
After experiencing damage on some of the trails around here on another vehicle, it made sense for me to do the mods I have done to my JKUR. Yeah, they look cool -but they also WORK!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine's a DD and it's on 40's. It's far from practical, gets horrible gas mileage, and serves no other purpose but to get me to and from work with an occasional wheeling trip when I'm not (working). What I get in return is enjoyment from the one vehicle I've always wanted. Whether or not you decide to go off-road is purely up to you; screw everyone else that thinks otherwise.

Now ask me if I care what other people think.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

I have this thought constantly now haha, I have a brand new '17 JKU that I just put a 4 inch lift and 35s on in a driveway on jack stands. It didn't really cross my mind that I could completely compromise a brand new $30K vehicle until we got half way through the lift and jacked up the pitman arm threaded stud. I think it all comes down to personal situations and just bein smart. I bought the lowest trim model sport you could because I saw no point in spending money on higher trim models if I was gonna be swappin out all the parts anyway. But in the end atleast for me if I do get her a little beat up wheelin I won't be too upset, its better than looking pristine, shows she gets some use out of her.

Now I just have to get rid of the 5 stock 16" rims and 29" street tires that no one wants
Old 03-24-2017, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Njcosta37
Now I just have to get rid of the 5 stock 16" rims and 29" street tires that no one wants
I bought my wheels and tires (Sahara take-offs) with 200 miles on them for $400, then sold my stock 16"/29" steelies on CL for $300. Remember those steelies are very usable for a truck seeing only pavement duty (they will fit a Toyota IIRC) and an upgrade for a lot of Jeeps other than JKs. I had no trouble selling mine. Could have asked $100 more and gotten it. Just because you don't want them doesn't mean no one wants them
Old 03-24-2017, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr72
I bought my wheels and tires (Sahara take-offs) with 200 miles on them for $400, then sold my stock 16"/29" steelies on CL for $300. Remember those steelies are very usable for a truck seeing only pavement duty (they will fit a Toyota IIRC) and an upgrade for a lot of Jeeps other than JKs. I had no trouble selling mine. Could have asked $100 more and gotten it. Just because you don't want them doesn't mean no one wants them
Depending on where you live those steelies are great winter rims.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Default GOING to buy my first JKURHR Today! Pretty excited...but such a novice!!!

[QUOTE=numbah1;4284703]Mine's a DD and it's on 40's. It's far from practical, gets horrible gas mileage, and serves no other purpose but to get me to and from work with an occasional wheeling trip when I'm not (working). What I get in return is enjoyment from the one vehicle I've always wanted. Whether or not you decide to go off

I work at home, I own an 05 H2 which I have taken off road a cpl times only because Im not exposed to those behaviors often, but would like to be! I want a few mods on the one Im purchasing, but Im paying alot to just get it home today. I will be 50 this year and this could be my midlife crisis escape. But Im looking fwd to it! But where to start?? The HardRock had all the interior features I wanted it is WHT/WHT 2016 w/8K mils on it. It does NOT have lift yet but does have the 255/75/17 so looks better than the std stock tires, I like te bumpers but want guard and I want the LED lights in several places, Im dying to take off the doors ad go! I don't know where to start but puddles after dropping 46K on this. I would have started with blank canvas and built on if I thought I was more capable....But as a girl, I do not personally now how to o alot of it myself, but willing to learn

I am envious till I achieve it all... then ill be fulfilled...and better yet my kiddo will get the xperine s I learn

advice welcome!
Old 03-26-2017, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=Rhyan369;4285199]
Originally Posted by numbah1
Mine's a DD and it's on 40's. It's far from practical, gets horrible gas mileage, and serves no other purpose but to get me to and from work with an occasional wheeling trip when I'm not (working). What I get in return is enjoyment from the one vehicle I've always wanted. Whether or not you decide to go off

I work at home, I own an 05 H2 which I have taken off road a cpl times only because Im not exposed to those behaviors often, but would like to be! I want a few mods on the one Im purchasing, but Im paying alot to just get it home today. I will be 50 this year and this could be my midlife crisis escape. But Im looking fwd to it! But where to start?? The HardRock had all the interior features I wanted it is WHT/WHT 2016 w/8K mils on it. It does NOT have lift yet but does have the 255/75/17 so looks better than the std stock tires, I like te bumpers but want guard and I want the LED lights in several places, Im dying to take off the doors ad go! I don't know where to start but puddles after dropping 46K on this. I would have started with blank canvas and built on if I thought I was more capable....But as a girl, I do not personally now how to o alot of it myself, but willing to learn

I am envious till I achieve it all... then ill be fulfilled...and better yet my kiddo will get the xperine s I learn

advice welcome!

what did I just read?
Old 04-02-2017, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=billetsilverjk;4285486]
Originally Posted by Rhyan369

what did I just read?
LOL!

It sounds as though she is a 50-year old woman that is excited about her first Jeep and am, in a roundabout way, asking for advice on what to do with it (mod-wise). If I'm wrong in that deduction please correct me.

Quick Reply: Wheeling an expensive Jeep.