Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

When it gets to be too much of a Jeep thing?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When it gets to be too much of a Jeep thing?

After 3 years and about 100K miles of ownership, I'm starting to find that a lot of the quirks that make the Jeep fun on the weekend are tiring and frustrating for my daily 55 mile slab commute. I'm tossing around thoughts of trading it in for something with better on-road manners.

Anyone relate or have any "been there, done that" type stories they want to share?

I think I'd be much better served by a Grand Cherokee; but I'm afraid I'll be bored out of my mind after 6 months of ownership. Part of the problem is that I can't seem to get myself to give up the Wranglers modularity. Top on/off, doors on/off, hardtop/softop. etc. It keeps me pretty entertained.

My two main complaints are the vague, flighty, solid-axle steering and front suspension, and my short gearing. Gearing can be fixed, but I'm at a loss on the front suspension and steering issues without going to an IFS vehicle.

Anyway, wanted to see if I could hear some thoughts - perhaps from those who've been down this road before.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had similar thoughts along the same lines and possibly going to a grand cherokee trailhawk. I have a feeling when summer comes around and the top comes off I will change my mind again, plus i dont want another car payment.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yo_marc
After 3 years and about 100K miles of ownership, I'm starting to find that a lot of the quirks that make the Jeep fun on the weekend are tiring and frustrating for my daily 55 mile slab commute. I'm tossing around thoughts of trading it in for something with better on-road manners.

Anyone relate or have any "been there, done that" type stories they want to share?

I think I'd be much better served by a Grand Cherokee; but I'm afraid I'll be bored out of my mind after 6 months of ownership. Part of the problem is that I can't seem to get myself to give up the Wranglers modularity. Top on/off, doors on/off, hardtop/softop. etc. It keeps me pretty entertained.

My two main complaints are the vague, flighty, solid-axle steering and front suspension, and my short gearing. Gearing can be fixed, but I'm at a loss on the front suspension and steering issues without going to an IFS vehicle.

Anyway, wanted to see if I could hear some thoughts - perhaps from those who've been down this road before.

Thanks.
I did.. and I went back to a wrangler..But I don't commute as much as you do..
I also have a 2011 GC.. it's comfortable, practical.. but also boring..

Driving my topless and doorless JKU on 35s just puts a smile on my face...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just so I understand better, you are looking for something that "glides" more when driving on pavement? How modified is your rig?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Spyntec lockout hubs for the front, not cheap, but it would solve you front end issues.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I appreciate the quick replies

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Just so I understand better, you are looking for something that "glides" more when driving on pavement? How modified is your rig?
I think you're on the right track as far as what I'm after. On-road bump handling, steering accuracy, and straight line tracking.

My JK is basically stock. Went from 255 to 265 wide road oriented all-terrain/all-season tires, and am running Monroe monotube shocks all around.

In all honesty, my wifes car is spoiling me. It's a 05 3-series BMW. I don't ever expect that kind of manners out of a JK, but its really made me aware of what I'm missing.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy a cheap beater for the commute , any old camry , accord , or impala should do the trick . all are comfortable and reliable . and atthe end of the day will have you really missin the jeep
Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

The JK shines in the fun-factor, off the beaten path. For the daily commute, something bland and well mannered will let you appreciate quality time with the JK.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks

I'm considering going the direction of a third vehicle. Another plus in that direction is that it would free up the JK for non-highway-friendly mods.... I just wouldnt have the cash left for any

I'm still weighing out insurance and upkeep costs...
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also do alot of driving. I don't mind the ride or handling but i do mind the crazy miles i rack up. 10k since July.

I've had my eye out for a super cheap beater car for day to day commuting and work travel.

Quick Reply: When it gets to be too much of a Jeep thing?