Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why a Stick Shift Matters ...

Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Why a Stick Shift Matters ...

On occasion when the subject of stick versus auto comes up on the forum I chime in as one of the lovers of rowing the gears. There's just nothing like the feeling of making the decision of when to shift--listening to that snick as you stroke the shifter (more pleasant on some vehicles than others, sadly our Jeep JKs rank rather low in snick factor). There are a number of complaints that you hear about the manual transmissions, and these often include "My wife can't drive one", "I have a long stop and go commute to work", "I drive a manual truck all day and that's enough for me" and the worst excuse of all: "An auto is faster than a stick." It's that last one that I want to expound on for a few moments of your time.

Who here is surprised that a computer can do something faster than a human? I doubt anyone is. Soon there will be self-driving cars. Do you plan to give up your steering wheel because your Jeep can now find its own way? Suppose I told you that because it's guided by a computer, there's no way that your pitiful steering inputs could outperform a self-driving Jeep? It's faster!

Now, let's take it a step farther and provide a computer that analyzes the road ahead. Except, in this case it's a really smart computer: It can look at rough trails and in a split second determine the fastest path through it for you. Now not only do you not need to shift gears or steer, but you can just kick back and have a beer while your "Jeep" navigates its way over the most difficult of technical terrain.

Imagine for a moment if the King of Hammers was run with a bunch of self-driving Jeeps. After all, why shouldn't we have a competition where the best geeks and mechanics win. Heck, we don't even need drivers, do we?

Well, the answer to this is obvious. The KOH isn't a competition between geeks. It's a competition between the drivers in the best outfitted vehicles that should allow those drivers to display extraordinary driving skills. To be honest, I lose respect for any that are out there driving an auto. That isn't driving. Not any more than it would be if it was a self-driving car with a computer doing route analysis and steering and gas pedal and brake control. The driver needs to be able to use gas, clutch and brake to keep the vehicle upright and in the lead. No computers, no excuses.

And, as for those of you who's wives (or husbands or daughters or whatever) can't drive: Teach them. If you have a long stop and go commute, shift not only your gears but your attitude and learn to appreciate that you still can have fun driving stick at other times that offsets the nuisance of heavy traffic. And if your job makes you drive a truck all day, appreciate that you get to drive a Jeep otherwise--and driving includes shifting. Anything less is just one step from a self-driving car. How boring.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
On occasion when the subject of stick versus auto comes up on the forum I chime in as one of the lovers of rowing the gears. There's just nothing like the feeling of making the decision of when to shift--listening to that snick as you stroke the shifter (more pleasant on some vehicles than others, sadly our Jeep JKs rank rather low in snick factor). There are a number of complaints that you hear about the manual transmissions, and these often include "My wife can't drive one", "I have a long stop and go commute to work", "I drive a manual truck all day and that's enough for me" and the worst excuse of all: "An auto is faster than a stick." It's that last one that I want to expound on for a few moments of your time. Who here is surprised that a computer can do something faster than a human? I doubt anyone is. Soon there will be self-driving cars. Do you plan to give up your steering wheel because your Jeep can now find its own way? Suppose I told you that because it's guided by a computer, there's no way that your pitiful steering inputs could outperform a self-driving Jeep? It's faster! Now, let's take it a step farther and provide a computer that analyzes the road ahead. Except, in this case it's a really smart computer: It can look at rough trails and in a split second determine the fastest path through it for you. Now not only do you not need to shift gears or steer, but you can just kick back and have a beer while your "Jeep" navigates its way over the most difficult of technical terrain. Imagine for a moment if the King of Hammers was run with a bunch of self-driving Jeeps. After all, why shouldn't we have a competition where the best geeks and mechanics win. Heck, we don't even need drivers, do we? Well, the answer to this is obvious. The KOH isn't a competition between geeks. It's a competition between the drivers in the best outfitted vehicles that should allow those drivers to display extraordinary driving skills. To be honest, I lose respect for any that are out there driving an auto. That isn't driving. Not any more than it would be if it was a self-driving car with a computer doing route analysis and steering and gas pedal and brake control. The driver needs to be able to use gas, clutch and brake to keep the vehicle upright and in the lead. No computers, no excuses. And, as for those of you who's wives (or husbands or daughters or whatever) can't drive: Teach them. If you have a long stop and go commute, shift not only your gears but your attitude and learn to appreciate that you still can have fun driving stick at other times that offsets the nuisance of heavy traffic. And if your job makes you drive a truck all day, appreciate that you get to drive a Jeep otherwise--and driving includes shifting. Anything less is just one step from a self-driving car. How boring.
What he said^

6 speeds for as long as they make them
Old 03-18-2015, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
To be honest, I lose respect for any that are out there driving an auto.
Jeepers, Mark. There are so many more important things upon which to base respect. Stick or auto should mean nothing.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Jeepers, Mark. There are so many more important things upon which to base respect. Stick or auto should mean nothing.
I think he meant in the hammers? But I'm just guessing. I don't loose respect for jeepers based on that, but no matter what you're racing, it shouldn't be an auto in my opinion.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JK505

I think he meant in the hammers? But I'm just guessing. I don't loose respect for jeepers based on that, but no matter what you're racing, it shouldn't be an auto in my opinion.
I did mean the KOH. Pethaps that was a bit of hyperbole on my part. But Ron knows I have a great deal of respect for him. Even if he drives an auto. ;-)
Old 03-18-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very well put Mark. I drive stick because I enjoy it. I know the auto shifts faster and our clutch doesn't do too well under water... and forget downshifting when going up some hills but at the end of the day if I wanted auto pilot I'd be investing in self driving cars.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess the auto stick doesn't count!?!? I still pick my gears off road
Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love the stick shift and have taught a few to drive it. My wife isn't as quick to catch on, she's gonna need more stick time!
Old 03-18-2015, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I still wish Chrysler would have seen fit to put a better manual trans the Wrangler but yea, manual is the true path of enlightenment.

Gotta count myself lucky... I was leaning toward giving in and getting an automatic when we were shopping for our current Jeep (I almost always get a M/T when we buy a car but our last 6-spd JK would sometimes pop out of gear in the rough stuff) but the wife wanted a manual first!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Chango
I still wish Chrysler would have seen fit to put a better manual trans the Wrangler ...

... the wife wanted a manual first!
Yes, manuals aren't rocket science. It is embarrassing that the Germans didn't do better. And hoorah for your wife!

Quick Reply: Why a Stick Shift Matters ...