Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why a Stick Shift Matters ...

Old 03-28-2015, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it is an age thing. Maturity matters.

I love driving my stake hen I had it. Girlfriend now wife couldn't drive it. Tried teaching. She had no interest.

Got the jeep and wanted her to enjoy it and take to beach if I were at work. She loves it. Top and doors off. She's part of this. If it were a stick? Never.

I have my balls. Not her. I just respect her and want her to share in my life and what I enjoy.

This thread is funny and a statement in society.

Enjoy jeeping people

FD
Old 03-28-2015, 06:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 08REDROCKX
I think manual gives you the perception of more power and more control but I believe it is the opposite. The new autos deliver more power to the wheels and having two hands on the wheel and left foot brake, right foot gas would be the best control. IMO
Yes, but... on sections where left foot brake, right foot gas is really useful, we also bounce quite a bit, so we lose accurate control over the pedals.
5-point straps which hold the driver tight in the seat (and which I don't have), would help.
A dead-pedal (which I have), helps pushing against the seat, so accurate gas control is easier to maintain - but then the left foot isn't free.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this old argument again. Frankly I'm tired of the mindset that driving a stick will make my wiener appear 3" longer. Thank you OP for not being rude. Not acting a fool with your opinion it is genuinely appreciated.

Now on with it so the haters can hate. There are very good reasons, both on and off road, to go either way but this is my take on the slushbox. They're great when they work right, unfortunately today's electronic transmissions typically do not. They are programmed for smoothness first and the actual function/usage/longevity of a unit takes a back seat. I find this slipping shift style as irritating as it is destructive and honestly, if they shifted as firmly as the hydraulic transmissions did 30 years ago I would prefer them. Sadly they don't so I hate 'em. They are also programmed to short shift and lug the engine in the name of fuel economy and I hate this as much as the invisible gear change. I can force a late shift when needed by holding it with the shifter but then why not choose the manual if I have to shift it manually anyway? For these reasons alone, I do prefer the manual.

Manual transmissions. The choice of ratio is all on me and I find this comforting but with the autostick feature this point is moot too bad it takes so damn long for it to slide from 1st to 2nd etc. What else can I say? As long as you keep mud out of your pressure plate and water out of your case, then any failure you experience is 100% all on you. (Actually those two are on you too but whatever.)

Jer
Old 03-29-2015, 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
Most guys who have automatics I find don't have balls. Well, they do, but they're kept in a little case tucked inside of their wife's purse, and they have to ask permission to take them out. Sad.
I mean, why spend an extra grand on an automatic when that could be mod money?
Or –
"To be honest, I lose respect for any that are out there driving an auto"

Such an attitude sometimes pops up and taints this forum, which is usually one the most tolerant, friendly and helpful forums I’ve seen.

Many of our decisions, be it Jeeps mods or anything else, are compromises.
Deciding between stick and auto, 35”s or 37”s, Hemi or LS engine swap, etc., is choosing and compromising between the pros & cons on both sides of the comparison.

In addition to the bare facts, there are personal preferences and subjectivity. The same issue may -- and is -- perceived differently by different people.

Therefore, be it stick vs auto, or most other choices, there's simply no "good" vs "bad".

As long as you don’t understand and accept this, you block your ability to conduct a reasonable dialogue with many people on this forum.

My father instructed me how to drive when I was still too young to get a license – it was a manual.
I had driven many types of manual vehicles, and still occasionally do.

Knowing very well how it is to drive manual, and having lots of experience with it, I preferred having an auto Rubi. No need to repeat the pros list.
It allows every bit of control that a manual allows.
If you don’t know that, or cannot accept it, it’s a “hole” in your knowledge about the 3.6L auto.

People who's preferences and choices are different from yours aren't "lesser" then you. Grow out of that one track mind.

Last edited by GJeep; 03-29-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, GJeep!

-FD
Old 03-30-2015, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep

Such an attitude sometimes pops up and taints this forum, which is usually one the most tolerant, friendly and helpful forums I’ve seen.

Many of our decisions, be it Jeeps mods or anything else, are compromises.
Deciding between stick and auto, 35”s or 37”s, Hemi or LS engine swap, etc., is choosing and compromising between the pros & cons on both sides of the comparison.

In addition to the bare facts, there are personal preferences and subjectivity. The same issue may -- and is -- perceived differently by different people.

Therefore, be it stick vs auto, or most other choices, there's simply no "good" vs "bad".

As long as you don’t understand and accept this, you block your ability to conduct a reasonable dialogue with many people on this forum.

My father instructed me how to drive when I was still too young to get a license – it was a manual.
I had driven many types of manual vehicles, and still occasionally do.

Knowing very well how it is to drive manual, and having lots of experience with it, I preferred having an auto Rubi. No need to repeat the pros list.
It allows every bit of control that a manual allows.
If you don’t know that, or cannot accept it, it’s a “hole” in your knowledge about the 3.6L auto.

People who's preferences and choices are different from yours aren't "lesser" then you. Grow out of that one track mind.
With people quoting that list bit that I wrote, it appears I've really struck a nerve with some people. And more than once, I've stated that it's all in good fun (because this "argument" comes up just about weekly on any automotive forum where the model of vehicle is offered with a manual and an automatic option--I refuse to take it seriously anymore, seriously).

Clearly we've got a sensitive crowd here--I don't know what else to say or contribute, but it's ain't gonna be saying 'sorry' -especially when my words are taken out of context, or people fail to (perhaps, refuse to) realize this just isn't a life or death subject--certainly not worth taking offense.

Last edited by jk_sea; 03-30-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's pretty comical how PISSED some people will get over the fact that you or I think driving a manual is more fun. Good thing we're not debating current events here.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cutman
I think it's pretty comical how PISSED some people will get over the fact that you or I think driving a manual is more fun. Good thing we're not debating current events here.
Most of the Auto comments were most likely posted while they were driving... They do have an extra hand after all.

Fuel. Meet fire. lol
Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Been there done that. Replaced enough clutches to say eff* that. Ill stick to warranty parts from now on. You all can keep your balls. Ill keep ny cash.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
With people quoting that list bit that I wrote, it appears I've really struck a nerve with some people. And more than once, I've stated that it's all in good fun (because this "argument" comes up just about weekly on any automotive forum where the model of vehicle is offered with a manual and an automatic option--I refuse to take it seriously anymore, seriously).

Clearly we've got a sensitive crowd here--I don't know what else to say or contribute, but it's ain't gonna be saying 'sorry' -especially when my words are taken out of context, or people fail to (perhaps, refuse to) realize this just isn't a life or death subject--certainly not worth taking offense.
I couldn’t care less about the pointless discussion of stick vs auto.
I referred to the attitude.

If you write in 'good fun', say it, or add a smiley or a wink.
The following doesn't show 'good fun':
Most guys who have automatics I find don't have balls. Well, they do, but they're kept in a little case tucked inside of their wife's purse, and they have to ask permission to take them out. Sad.
I mean, why spend an extra grand on an automatic when that could be mod money
?”

Last edited by GJeep; 03-31-2015 at 01:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Why a Stick Shift Matters ...