Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

WildBoar HardTop Installed today-Details

Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WildBoar HardTop Installed today-Details

Me: 2012 Jeep Unlimited Sahara, Silver. *Soft top only. Purchased in May
Previous Jeep was a 1996 Sport with a Hard Top. 218,000 great miles, sold about 9 years ago

1. After 9 weeks from the date of order it arrived - BTW you pay the shipping charges from California in addition to the selling price. Shipping charges will be calculated the day it is set to be shipped. Mine was shipped to a traditional dock but if you need tailgate service to your driveway it will likely add $75 to $125 to the shipping delivery charges. I think I paid $261 but when I compared their shipping costs to those my company gets from our provider WildBoar was very competitive. Go with WildBoar, their carrier is familiar to their crating dims and the special handing instructions.

2. The install is pretty simple except for the center bracket which only "tucks behind the rubber" (of the windshield they mean) as the instructions say. I think this could have been engineered much better but it seems to work - I will report back if a problem presents because I just installed it today, so who really knows?

3. Gaps are petty even and solid all the way around. Mine is a t-top but WildBoar calls them "wings". The gaps to the top of the door can be adjusted by how tightly you screw these down through the roll bar. NOTE: If you want to take off the tops you must remove 6 total bolts and you will need a wrench - I used a ratcheting wrench. It will maybe takes 15 minutes max to uninstall and remove. Also, I would like to have had a do not exceed torque setting for these because it has to be possible to pull the top washer through the Hard Top itself. As it is I just eyeballed it using the gaps to the top of my door frame as my goal.

4. PROBLEM #1 : My rear gate sensor is reading open. In other words the computer thinks the rear gate is "ajar" and the interior lights stay on while I am driving. I am total baffled and frustrated by this and trust me the door is shutting solidly. I feel WildBoar should provide better assistance to their consumer about this problem because it must be a predicable problem. All they said was "take it to the dealer". *For as much as I just paid, this is not the "customer service" answer I was looking for. Not happy. *NOTE- I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the sensor, didn't work

5. PROBLEM #2 : WildBoar sells the HT with rear defroster standard. It comes with 2 wires that are rolled with a zip tie but WildBoar provides NO instructions on how or where to connect them to a power source. So again I called WildBoar and got no specific help at all. Worthless in fact. Not happy again.

Fears & Thoughts
Fear #1: After tax and shipping I just dropped nearly $4,000 on this thing and when I pay a premium price for something I expect premium support from the supplier. Why WildBoar isn't prepared to provide me better instructions on how to fully install their product along with all its working components, especially when I call them to ask for help, greatly concerns me and raises the question - Who did I just pay all this money to?

Fear #2: Resulting from the WildBoar lack of direct phone support and problem solving for what I consider are predicable questions [the rear gate reading ajar and how/where to connect the rear defroster] I am instantly questioning other things like the quality and reliability of their product and if they will stand by their product should a problem occur.

Fear #3: I hope this thing doesn't leak!

Thoughts #1: I think the top is well made, very solid, and fits very nicely.
Thoughts #2: The sound quality from inside the Jeep at any speed is very good.
Thoughts #3: I hope this doesn't become a hassle/regret for me

I will post detailed pics tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are sweet tops...not $4K sweet tho, too rich for my blood. Hopefully it work out for you, can't wait to see some pics!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i placed my order for a t-top about two weeks ago. my cost was exactly $2,584. Because I live about 70 miles away I will have them install. they told me 4-6 weeks - I hope so. I did also purchase the cargo rack, and snorkel, my total cost was $4,400. which includes painting the snorkle to match the body and california sales tax.

I am curious - to see your pics.

Quick Reply: WildBoar HardTop Installed today-Details