Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

A Wire Shorting Out Any Help???

Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Wire Shorting Out Any Help???

So not sure if anybody out there can help me. I know the problem does exist and unfortunatly my JK has this bug too. Within the past 2 months my JK has been doing some crazy stuff. Somewhere in the JK there is a short in a wire. Does anybody know how to find the short or where to start looking? My hubby is not a very big fan of the my Jeep due to the problems I have had. This is just another problem to add to the list This is what will happen, the horn will go off along with the wipers (front and back)sometimes the washer fluid too The other day I tried to turn the heat on and the heat didn't work. I shut the Jeep off and it worked Any suggestions would help. I don't want to be one of those Jeeps that end up on the side of the road being toast. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check your battery. Sometimes a weak or dying batteries will make our Jeeps do all kinds of crazy stuff just like you are describing.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check the battery and charging system for sure.

Also check grounds. Anywhere a cable or wire is bolted to the Jeep's chassis or engine should be checked for tightness.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I will have him check the battery, I know it was replaced last year though. Thinking the grounds maybe the problem he did say they are rusting.

Last edited by kashlak; 11-20-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

If all that fails, check the TIPM. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...-issues-74829/
Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigmike17
My husband actually did research on this last night. He thinks this maybe the problem. My radio also goes in and out sometimes and the alarm will go off when we open the doors when its not even set. I feel like the jeep has a mind of its own
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

We are assuming my jeep has the TIPM problem too All grounds are good and tight and clean. The jeep zapped completely out on Friday, the worst it ever did before. I didn't have heat Thurs into Friday, no fan no nothing. Towards the end of the day on Friday the jeep zapped out and than the front power windows didn't work but the back ones did I shut the jeep off went into a store came back out and everything worked again. I finally had heat the windows worked its like nothing happened. I asked my husband if I am allowed to say its a jeep thing. Needless to say he didn't find that funny

Quick Reply: A Wire Shorting Out Any Help???