Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

"WISH I had known..." What would you do differently?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "WISH I had known..." What would you do differently?

I bought my 2008 Sahara used 2 years ago and am just starting to upgrade and customize her. I've just added the TeraFlex 2.5" level lift and 33" tires. This is my daily driver and the tires/lift were mainly for looks, but the change has given me the bug to do more, and to give off-roading a try.

The more I look at options and toys, the more it seems like I could easily buy something now that I regret spending money on later (or regret not spending MORE money on later )

So... what do you wish you had known when you started your build? Or when you started off-roading?

Hind-sight being 20/20 what would you do differently and (most importantly) why?

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple big things I've seen is people going with cheap parts to start (especially lifts) only having to replace them down the road because they are, well cheap! Spend a little more upfront, do it right the first time and save in the long run. Tires are the other big thing. If you're debating between 2 sizes, i.e. 33 vs 35, always go with the larger size because you're going to wish you had.

Just remember to build your Jeep for what you need and how you use it. Spend plenty of time researching before you lay down the cash and enjoy the ride!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

I would have started out with a Rubicon and not an X.

My JKU is my DD and although I want to lift it and install 35"s that just is not practical at this point for me.

SO I wish I had a Rubicon.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Should have gotten the rubicon 2 door that was only 3 grand more with 260 more miles.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah i would have started with a rubi!
Umm i haven't really built my jeep that much but what i have done like rubi take-off rock sliders cb diff covers im happy just wished i would have gotten the evo sliders in the first place! But i like to wheel my jeep hard to test its limits and see what i need to do next!
(On board air, Lift, tires, skins for body, and better sliders are next!)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

I too wish that I had started with a Rubicon!! I also wish that I had gone with WELD on EVO Sliders instead of using bolt on sliders.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an 08 Sahara JKU, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the bastard redhead. I've replaced so many parts, the only difference from a Rubicon would be my front d30 & lockers.
So my biggest regret is not getting the Rubi in the first place, then I'd be rolling on 37s by now

One of my personal mantras is "buy it once, install it once." Meaning, get what you really want now instead of settling with something "good enough for now" and having to swap stuff out again. Often times I find you end up eventually getting what you originally wanted and having to do stuff over again. For example, I've witnessed so many people install a small leveling kit or budget boost to fit 33s (sometimes 35s) only to eventually buy a full 2.5"-4" lift kit. There's nothing wrong with going the more affordable route, and of course we have to work within the confines of our individual budget... but in the long run I personally think its better to just get what you want in the first place (even if it means saving a bit more $$$ & having to wait). Who wants to keep pulling parts off their jeep only to remove and install new parts over and over?
On the other hand, part of the fun is building up our rigs over time. Most of my parts I installed were lucky finds on Craigslist, eBay, or the forum. While I really liked my OR-FAB tire/can carrier, I prefer my used LoD bumper/carrier I just swapped in to replace it.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm going to sound crotchety, but my basically stock JK is a product of too many 'wish I had knows' in years past with other vehicles.

I've done lifts, lowering kits, lighting upgrades, and a number of different performance upgrades - K&N's to camshafts. The mods were fun, and a lot of experience was gained - but in the end, the stock product commonly served me better.

In the Jeep world I'm primarily a 'dirt road enthusiast' at best... so take that for what it's worth.

Last edited by yo_marc; 02-07-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

All my cars have had power doors and windows for years. I miss that aspect. But do appreciate the ease at which I can take off the doors but living in a busy city means that they are on most of the time.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I can add a positive note

Related to the post above and others with their Rubicon comments. Definitely buy what you are looking for the first time around. The thought that 'I can add that later' (at least for me) always ends up being multiple times harder than if I had just got it included with the vehicle first time around.

Whether that's power options, heated seats, stereo, axles, etc.

Quick Reply: "WISH I had known..." What would you do differently?