Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Would you buy a Unibody & IFS Wrangler?
Yes I would
18.60%
No way
81.40%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a Unibbody & IFS 2017 Wrangler?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Uni-body is just a diversion, they will get the Jeep community talking about how bad uni-body will be and then the new model will be frame with IFS. Some will complain about IFS but then they will finish each complaint with "at least they scraped the Uni-body idea".

As I have stated before, I am open to some form of IFS. If new Jeeps come out with IFS and frame construction I will take a close look, but if it has uni-body.....I am not interested, I will keep what I have.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unibody would suck. but ifs o well, you can still do a d60 solid axle swap more than likely... And if its ifs hey maybe a jeep trophy truck?!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

A unibody and ifs Wrangler would be fine with me. The JK doesn't have a particularly stiff frame/ body combination; the way it shakes and rattles on any sort of bumpy road, and the way there's a sharp crack! sound from the base of the windshield whenever taking a big dip on a road, evidently the dash/ or interior is banging into part of the body? A unibody and an ifs can be made just as good, probably better than the very flexible frame and loose body the JK has.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by webejeepin

Wonder if back in the day the CJ guys talked at the coffee shops about this new YJ model that would replace their CJ.

I had friends with CJ's back in the day who railed against the YJ as it was first coming out. They called in the Yuppie Jeep. Most of them swore they would keep their CJ's forever.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

I hope the new wrangler will be unitbody, completely independent suspension, no removable roof, lower ground clearance, the size of a Scion, and .... oh wait, the Renegade already did that.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't piss on a IFS if it were on fire. No way i'd ever buy another jeep and I hope and pray that Jeep pays attention. If I wanted a fluffy jeep wanna be with IFS, i'd buy an FJ.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by B 1000
I hope the new wrangler will be unitbody, completely independent suspension, no removable roof, lower ground clearance, the size of a Scion, and .... oh wait, the Renegade already did that.
Make a Renegade 2 door, chop off the top and you'll have the 2017 Wrangler.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
I wouldn't piss on a IFS if it were on fire. No way i'd ever buy another jeep and I hope and pray that Jeep pays attention. If I wanted a fluffy jeep wanna be with IFS, i'd buy an FJ.

I am curious, why are you so against IFS? Where do you take your Jeep now that you would not be able to do with IFS? There is no question that IFS is better on road and would be a huge improvement for most Jeep owners. Is yours not a DD? I could see if we are talking hardcore rock climbing but your mod list suggests weekend warrior much like my build. I am not bashing on you, I just want to understand what I am missing.

BTW- Consumers don't buy the FJ because it is big, bulky, ugly and does not have removable top and doors. IFS has nothing to do with it, most Jeep buyers don't even know what IFS means.......
Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Legit question. Yes, IFS is better on the road, no arguing that. And yes, my Jk is my DD.

I spend 50/50 of my time on road/ off road. A good bit is around the farm. Hard core rock climbing? Not so much. But I still push my luck on the trails locally at Uwharrie. Funny you asked this. Just two weeks ago when we were at Uwharrie, I fried my starter on a ledge. I did a more detailed write up on another thread, and Copyguy was with me on this trail run. While I was hooking up to get a pull start (after winching down which sucked balls), a full size regular cab truck shows up and tries it. As we all cringed as it repeatedly bounced off rocks and trees on the way up, full throttle (it did make it though, however, I wish I could have seen the carnage), I was distinctly reminded as to why I purchased a Wrangler.

This is actually my first JK, Second jeep, but I've spent a lifetime behind the wheel of full size 4x4 trucks. (in fact, I've never owned a car) Some with and some with out IFS. Under normal driving conditions and mild trail situations, the IFS was just fine. Get into uneven terrain or in a situation where you need to keep all 4 wheels on the ground, not so much. I've found IFS to be down right unsafe under certain circumstances.

Strait axles are more capable and in my very humble opinion easier to work on and cheaper to buy parts for. A jeep was meant to have a Dana under it.

Originally Posted by 08REDROCKX
I am curious, why are you so against IFS? Where do you take your Jeep now that you would not be able to do with IFS? There is no question that IFS is better on road and would be a huge improvement for most Jeep owners. Is yours not a DD? I could see if we are talking hardcore rock climbing but your mod list suggests weekend warrior much like my build. I am not bashing on you, I just want to understand what I am missing.

BTW- Consumers don't buy the FJ because it is big, bulky, ugly and does not have removable top and doors. IFS has nothing to do with it, most Jeep buyers don't even know what IFS means.......
Old 07-21-2014, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the frame goes away, a whole lot of Wrangler enthusiasts will look elsewhere. This will create a vacuum in the market and somebody else will fill it. Return of the real FJ? Or maybe a new run of the Land Rover Discovery? A grown-up Samurai? Anyway, there are other manufacturers with the DNA to make a decent body-on-frame 4x4. If Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep doesn't want the business, somebody else does.

IFS is another story. All the IFS setups I know of (except the H1) were designed primarily for the road with token 4x4 thrown in. On the other hand, IFS in a top-line side by side is pretty impressive. A no-compromise IFS designed for off-road might be interesting.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a Unibbody & IFS 2017 Wrangler?