Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler the 6th most unsafe vehicle of 2015 according to these idiots

Old 09-09-2015, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lkjk
I didn't mention the b pillar as being weak, because that's the beefiest one. I understand the legality of the stickers, I also understand that because of that they aren't actually designed with safety in mind.

# of fatalities, or percentages, only means exactly that. There could be a million reasons that's the case, without finding out why, which is nearly impossible without a controlled test, a lot of stats are useless.

crash tests where they put them through the paces with dummies and sensors are measuring the actual force with simulated crashes that are nearly identical for the vehicles in each class, so I don't know what more you want...to uncover a conspiracy against jeeps?

Its just funny so many people get so sensitive when anything bad about jeeps is mentioned.
Nah. There's some really crappy things about Jeeps that embarrass the apologists too. They're not perfect vehicles.

The editor is pandering to the "Johnny Come-Lately" blob-driving hipsters who need to feel better about having bought a car like the Prius, and it's people like this that are single-handedly destroying the world. That, and bandwagon fetishes like skinny jeans for men, and fedoras. This is why we can't have fun things, or take risks, without supposedly "ruining it for everyone", else we risk losing our participation trophies.

I'm just glad there's still a sect of people that see right through this bullshit.

(Now get off my lawn-)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best evidence I have seen was on Fox news last week. Head on collision between a spots car and a jku on the highway. Car was going over 110 mph when it hit the jeep. The engine of the sports car was found 40 yards away, the passenger in critical condition and they were still looking for the driver as he was ejected from the car when it was ripped apart. The two passengers of the jeep walked away.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been t-boned on the driver's side of an Unlimited at a fairly low speed, and I can tell you it's not much fun. It's probably not too bad if you get hit by a small car, but I was hit by a full-size Ram truck and it rang my bell pretty hard. When I replaced the Jeep months later, I bought one with side airbags, and I'll never own another one without them.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lkjk
The doors and top aren't designed with any safey in mind - I have stickers from the factory that say something like "the doors and top of this vehicle are not intended to keep you inside the vehicle in the event of an accident". .
I doubt there is a sticker that states that.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR

There is on my Jeep. If you have a hard top, look up at it from the driver's seat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150912_055659.png
Views:	173
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	624334
Old 09-12-2015, 03:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There is on my Jeep. If you have a hard top, look up at it from the driver's seat.

Attachment 624334
Very interesting. That is not on my 2014. In my owners manual it state's:

Do not drive your vehicle on public roads with the doors removed as you will lose the protection that they can provide. This procedure is furnished for use during off-road operation only.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Sure there is... And mine's a hardtop with full doors.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure where they got their data from.... IIHS rates ranger marginal on side impact testing and Good in small and moderate overlap testing. The vehicle they tested for side impact testing was not equipped with side impact airbags. Seems decent to me.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

obviously this is more handling than safety, if you care to distinguish the difference. Needless to say I have no faith in jeep or chrysler engineers. For anything other that rock crawling off road I would never buy anything mopar, ever.

Jeep Moose Test: Roll Over Mitigation Gone Wrong - Safe BrakingSafe Braking
Old 09-14-2015, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My biggest gripe with safety is not that the JK and JKU is not as safe as a Subaru or Volvo because it is purpose-built.

My issue is that since the JK and JKU are relatively purpose-built, they should have a solid safety cage and restraints, not a half-asses "sport cage" or whatever FCA calls their excuse for a roll cage.

Quick Reply: Wrangler the 6th most unsafe vehicle of 2015 according to these idiots