Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler Africa Concept

Old 03-19-2015, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler Africa Concept

Steel. Wheels. I've had a handful of Wrangler testers, and subjected them all to the horrors of Windrock OHV park. They all came from the factory with gorgeous aluminum alloy wheels, and none of them survived the rock gardens without at least one gnarly scar. Steel isn't light, but it is durable and cheap, making it the perfect material for off-road rollers that do more than clog the Starbucks parking lot.

The wheels are wrapped in 35-inch BFGoodrich mud terrain tires. That's considerably taller than stock, helping to add ground clearance and negate some of the drawbacks of the long wheelbase Wrangler. The two-inch lift, with its Fox shocks, doesn't hurt either.
There are a set of proven Dana 44 axles front and rear, though Jeep doesn't say anything about whether or not the sticks come with lockers. The beefier front axle is a good thing with the larger tires, and the torque from the 2.8-liter turbo-diesel engine.

That's right, I said the magic words: turbo diesel. The 2.8-liter mill is small and fairly lightweight, but still manages to make big torque low in the rev range, right where you need it when it comes time to scramble over an obstacle. The extra fuel economy will also help you stay out longer, as will the auxiliary fuel tanks. Win.

Add in body protection like hood-to-roof guy wires, rock rails, and a high-clearance, steel front bumper, and you're good to tackle everything but the meatiest of trails. Oh, and if you do happen to get stuck, there's a winch up front to help yank you out.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

The custom jerry can and holder looks nice. It even seems the are using the old wwII cinch strap, but in black. I could see this being made for the current JKs.

I'd rather see a built in table than the Rack System.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

I'd like to see this thing as standard JK length and then this 130 length.

Also, it needs an AEV tire carrier style bumper to get it out from under the vehicle.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I love the jerry can setup. I'd buy that if someone produced it!
Old 03-20-2015, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty cool. Has the look of a Defender 110. I typically don't like painted flares or roof, but this works. Love the diesel. Looking at the rear door and at pics assume that the roof does not come off. This might have an impact on sales.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think Jeep would sell a lot of these things if they ever actually put them in production. I think that package on a regular length JKU would be nice too. Not a fan of how the roof rack mounts. One of the best "Concept" vehicles they've come out with IMO.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think there is someone on the expo forum that makes and sells the jerry can holer for the side.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

It looks horrible the rear side view looks like a Toyota Land Cruiser and the rest of the view looks old seventies Land Cruiser
Old 03-21-2015, 03:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If they offered it, and I could afford it, I'd buy one right now. This is my favorite concept to date.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This would actually make me consider a 4 door. Almost.

Quick Reply: Wrangler Africa Concept