Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler JK's vs. others on the trail....

Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Fkbnme88w http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBg4-dI05A&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHF_ToYYJww
Summary from the video below

"Summary - Defender better on loose surface deep roots & muddy trails, Rubicon much more practical & comfy, plus cabrio version in 10 minutes, and auto. and petrol... That all means - Jeep is better for real life, LR for duties, and hard muddy conditions."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ZqtbABNgA

Last edited by Omar Brannstrom; 03-09-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

VS. a LR Discovery, the 4-door has a way better departure angle. I smacked the trailer hitch or rear bumper on my Disco so many times. I had permanently removed the corner trim pieces above the bumper because they would get knocked off so often.

Comfort-wise, the Jeep couldn't touch the LR. The drive to and from the trail were worlds apart.
Interior space / storage, again the LR would win. The back of the Disco could swallow loads of gear.

Off-road ability hands down goes to the Rubicon Unltd. Clearance, traction, front and rear lockers, etc...

Intangibles - top off, doors off obviously goes to the Jeep. Aftermarket manufacturers also support the Jeep community in numbers that dwarf the LR supporters. No contest.

My G4 Discovery

My JKU

Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

ok, i'll go with my experience.

my early broncos had a 3" lift, 33s, 4:11s, air lockers front and rear, 302V8s, C4 auto, D20 transfer case (about 2.4 low range), Ford 9" rear, Dana 44 front. the early broncos had coil front with a long radius arm so when lifted all you had to do is replace the poly "C" bushings to correct caster and there were no caster issues. they had leafs in the rear that i replaced with taller more flexible ones with my lifts. their advantage other than being really cool classics is that with the leaf rears they were a lot more stable side to side on the trail. with the short 96" wheel base and the frame and everything else tucked up in the body i never had a problem dragging on anything underneath. but since the rocker panels extended below the frame they were easy to damage. front and rear overhang wasn't bad, but not as good as the JK. dash was low and you could see your front fender corners easily. one disadvantage was the taller range transfer case and although the 302s had 200 HP they seemed to run out of power on a hill climb so you needed more speed. another was going down a steep hill with the auto you'd fly down unless you were on the brakes all the time. rock crawling in them was great. people riding in the back seat got hammered since the ride was so rough back there. they were hell for stout. i worked a lot on mine replacing things and they were pretty reliable but when we're on bronco runs today there's usually someone having a cooling, electrical or some mechanical problem since they're just old. i love the early broncos though and wish i had room to have kept mine along with my jeep.

my brother has had lots of scouts, also hell for stout. disadvantage is front leafs that usually use longer shackles for a lift and steering can be pretty wandering. longer wheel base, rode much better on the trail than the broncos. one advantage is their engines are really torquey. disadvantage is long front and rear overhang.

next was my 1998 XJ with the 4.0L, auto, stock except for 31" tires. only mild wheeling with it. jostled severly side to side and i banged my head on the side window more than once. hit the exhaust Y pipe going over things that weren't very big.

next was my 2006 LJ Rubi, auto, 4" lift, 33s, 4:56s. awesome 4 wheeling articulation, no underneath dragging issues, great hill descent control, didn't have to fix any of the stock setup to make it work. went over everything like butter. disadvantages were on the highway when in overdrive going up even a slight grade it was like pushing a rope, very tall dash - had to sit on a cusion to see the front fenders, and getting into the back seat was a pain.

my 2012 JK Rubi is just awesome on the trail. still more side to side jounce than the broncos, but rides nicer on the trail. goes up things like butter even if a tire or two is lifted. hill descent is awesome. select shift auto is awesome. new engine is awesome. 4 dr convenience and comfort is awesome. new lower geared auto is awesome but wish it had a taller overdrive. disadvantage is long weelbase and less clearence underneath and having a brand new $40K jeep that needs a new drive shaft, relocated or new evap skid, or exhaust extensions or y pipe mod to avoid damaging stock components on the trail with even a mild lift. but i love it anyway, new techology reigns!!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Lovin' all these awesome stories and videos and personal experiences.... keep em comin'!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=deeker;2894073]VS. a LR Discovery, the 4-door has a way better departure angle. I smacked the trailer hitch or rear bumper on my Disco so many times. I had permanently removed the corner trim pieces above the bumper because they would get knocked off so often.

Comfort-wise, the Jeep couldn't touch the LR. The drive to and from the trail were worlds apart.
Interior space / storage, again the LR would win. The back of the Disco could swallow loads of gear.

Off-road ability hands down goes to the Rubicon Unltd. Clearance, traction, front and rear lockers, etc...

Intangibles - top off, doors off obviously goes to the Jeep. Aftermarket manufacturers also support the Jeep community in numbers that dwarf the LR supporters. No contest.

My G4 Discovery

Hi

Outside USA I think that many like my self see the Landrover Discovery more like a city SUV or farmers with horses and the Landrover Defender a real 4x4 terrain vehicle. The Defender is popular in Africa (many in South Africa), Australia and Europe.

As a Swede I could choose between the Defender and Wrangler, ordered a Wrangler, ordered june 2011 and not got it yet! I would not even think of a disco, just look like a ordinary SUV.

The Defender is to high for my Garage
Defender more expensive
Wanted automatic, Defender only manual
Defender only diesel, dont want that. I south Africa they had V8 petrol.

Defender has a "older" interior design and drives like a tractor, so Wrangler is more refined and more car like.

Defender is more like a tank and a farmer vehicle and has better aproach angles and departure angles and ground clearance than a Wrangler. The Defender is no toy, You can walk on the bonnet, walk on the roof and put a tent on it and it is built for that, its a working 4x4 vehicle, a real tank and not for soccermoms.

They Russian guy say almost that a wrangler Rubicon is a "car" and the Defender is a terrain vehicle after his test. But I think the are very similar.

All the terrain thing is better on the Defender and the car like thing is better on the Wrangler, almost what the Russian tester say.

"approximately equal off-road abilities, a little better angles - plus for Def, transfer case shield to low - minus for Rubi, jeep's engine much more powerful, but Landy's antistall system is the best.

"Defender better on loose surface deep roots & muddy trails, Rubicon much more practical & comfy, plus cabrio version in 10 minutes, and auto. and petrol... That all means - Jeep is better for real life, LR for duties, and hard muddy conditions."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ZqtbABNgA Look at very little overhang on a Defender

Some statistic:

EU Wrangler bumper:

Approach angle 38.4 deg.

Departure angle 31.3 deg.

US Wrangler bumper:

Approach angle 40.8 deg

Departure angle 37.4 deg

Landrover Defender :

Approach angle 49 deg.

Departure angle 47 deg.

Look at the height, Defender about 12.7"? in ground clearance, Wrangler about 10" in ground clearance

Last edited by Omar Brannstrom; 03-09-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi

Worldwide Jeep want to be the best 4x4 but for us outside USA and Canada, the rest of the world, Jeep gave us a vehicle with one of the worst approach angle of any 4x4 in he world.

Look at this plow bill bumper, what is it purpose? and US bumper aint so god either.

I have a Suzuki Jimny like this, look at the approach angle

Some statistic:

EU Wrangler bumper:

Approach angle 38.4 deg.

Departure angle 31.3 deg.

US Wrangler bumper:

Approach angle 40.8 deg

Departure angle 37.4 deg

Landrover Defender :

Approach angle 49 deg.

Departure angle 47 deg.

My old 2001 Suzuki Jimny :

Approach angle 42 deg.

Departure angle 46 deg.

Suzuki Samurai: ???

Approach angle 48 deg

Departure angle 40 deg.

Hummer H1:

Approach angle 72

Departure angle 37.5

Lada Niva:

Approach angle 40 deg.

Departure angle 32 deg.

Mercedes Geländewagen:

Approach angle 40 deg

Quick Reply: Wrangler JK's vs. others on the trail....