Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Another Ouray Trail Question

Old 10-12-2014, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Ouray Trail Question

I am taking the family cross-country. Stopping in Ouray for 2 days. I am towing my 08 Rubicon behind the RV. I want to have a plan of which trails to run. No Black Bear! (my wife would kill me). My thoughts were Imogene/ Yankee Boy Basin to Telluride and then the Alpine Loop with Engineer Pass and American Basin. I will probably only be able to go on one of these (only one day to ride). Looking for logistic input. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EK's JK
I am taking the family cross-country. Stopping in Ouray for 2 days. I am towing my 08 Rubicon behind the RV. I want to have a plan of which trails to run. No Black Bear! (my wife would kill me). My thoughts were Imogene/ Yankee Boy Basin to Telluride and then the Alpine Loop with Engineer Pass and American Basin. I will probably only be able to go on one of these (only one day to ride). Looking for logistic input. Thanks.
Sounds cool, Alpine loop and engineer pass definitely . Might be a little snow up there though.. Good times for sure...
Old 10-12-2014, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Saw someone post last week that Imogene, Ophir, and Black Bear are already closed for the season.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rlew0083
Saw someone post last week that Imogene, Ophir, and Black Bear are already closed for the season.
Well, that makes my decision a little easier. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

After looking at Switzerland of America's site, it looks like every trail above 11,000 ft is closed. Please tell me this is not true! Any locals with info?
Old 10-12-2014, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by EK's JK
After looking at Switzerland of America's site, it looks like every trail above 11,000 ft is closed. Please tell me this is not true! Any locals with info?
there's a good amount of snow already.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Cool Something else to consider

For folks from the "flat lands" you have to consider the potential affects of high altitude on your family members.
Here are a few "high points" on your trip: Ouray - 7,792', Governor's Pass - 12,400', Imogene Pass - 13,114' and
Telluride itself is at 8,750'. Altitude Sickness is a real possibility, I suggest that it will be time well spent reading up
on what to do to mitigate the affects of high altitude on your family.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
For folks from the "flat lands" you have to consider the potential affects of high altitude on your family members. Here are a few "high points" on your trip: Ouray - 7,792', Governor's Pass - 12,400', Imogene Pass - 13,114' and Telluride itself is at 8,750'. Altitude Sickness is a real possibility, I suggest that it will be time well spent reading up on what to do to mitigate the affects of high altitude on your family.
based on photos from our cabin, they should be closed. Directly on the other side of these mountains is Lake City: Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2416936007.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	580286 Sent from some string and a few tin cans. From Ouray, head north to ridgeway. Take Owl Creek Pass over to Silver Jack Resevoir. Should be open and will be one of the most beautiful drives you do:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1703073689.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	580292

Last edited by CerOf; 10-17-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Maybe I missed it but when are you going? If it is soon most of the high trails and passes will be closed. Owl Creek is beautiful as is Last Dollar. If you are a John Wayne fan then you have to stop in Ridgeway at the True Grit Cafe. The food and memorabilia are great. The original True Grit was filmed in Ridgeway, the hanging scene and several others were filmed across from the Cafe in and around the Park. The little girls "Homestead" sound stage can still be found out on the Last Dollar Trail, and the other outdoor scenes were filmed up on Owl Creek. The "Homestead" is in disrepair but can be found on the north side of the trail. I say Last Dollar Trail but it is more of a gravel road at that point. LDT runs from west of Ridgeway, just past Ralph Lauren's Ranch (look for the really nice fence and the big Tee-Pees, 3 of them) on the south side of the highway. The Tee-Pees are fully civilized guest houses by the way, heated/AC, beds, bathrooms, electricity!

Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir Grumpy
Maybe I missed it but when are you going? If it is soon most of the high trails and passes will be closed. Owl Creek is beautiful as is Last Dollar. If you are a John Wayne fan then you have to stop in Ridgeway at the True Grit Cafe. The food and memorabilia are great. The original True Grit was filmed in Ridgeway, the hanging scene and several others were filmed across from the Cafe in and around the Park. The little girls "Homestead" sound stage can still be found out on the Last Dollar Trail, and the other outdoor scenes were filmed up on Owl Creek. The "Homestead" is in disrepair but can be found on the north side of the trail. I say Last Dollar Trail but it is more of a gravel road at that point. LDT runs from west of Ridgeway, just past Ralph Lauren's Ranch (look for the really nice fence and the big Tee-Pees, 3 of them) on the south side of the highway. The Tee-Pees are fully civilized guest houses by the way, heated/AC, beds, bathrooms, electricity!

Hope this helps.
Wish I knew this last year when I drove 463 miles off road (with a few interconnecting highway) from Ridgeway to the north rim of the Grand Canyon (BLM land on the edge of the national park). I'm a big John Wayne fan.

Quick Reply: Another Ouray Trail Question