Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Camping near Crested Butte?

Old 01-14-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camping near Crested Butte?

Has anyone camped at Lake Irwin near Crested Butte? Any other great spots in the area that don't require 4wd? We are looking for a spot for our family but also my parents, who do not have a Jeep. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple different places to camp around CB. None of these areas really require 4 wheel drive. Kebler, Slate, and Gothic are all dirt roads.

1. Take Kebler Pass west out of town. There is a campsite somewhere up there on the left side of the road. Lake Irwin I think it is. Cannot miss it. The entrance looks like this:

Upon getting closer you will see something like this, but w/o the motorcycles and the poser.

It is a very calm, quiet and peaceful campsite.

There are many places going the 33 miles over Kebler Pass that dispersed camping is enjoyed. Some areas look like this:

On the highway headed up into CB, HW 135, there are many great campgrounds. Most can be found north of the turn at Almont (FR 742 Taylor Canyon Road). There are quite a few campground right on Taylor River as well as many more clear back up into the Taylor Park area and still farther north until the road ends. Many good ATV and jeep trails back up in there too like Italian Creek Road and Taylor Pass, American Flag Mt., etc.

Plenty of dispersed camping all over this area.

Also, north out of CB there are areas like this you can camp in Gothic CG off the Gothic Road (317) or camp in Paradise Basin or Oh-Be-Joyful off of Slate River Road (734). I believe there is also some dispersed camping along the way. Looks something like this:

Good luck and happy exploring!

Dan
Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks!

Thank you so much for the advice and photos!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those pics are probably the only set on this whole board referencing jeep camping that do not have a jeep in them! I hope to remedy this in the Spring .

My jeep withdrawals are getting more severe every time I peruse this site.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

I regularly go to the Gunnison/Crested Butte area at least once a year. I once rented a cabin in Almont, between Gunnison and Crested Butte that was perfect for getting to either town or for going toward Taylor Resevoir and those trails. Not far from there, the Alpine Tunnel Road area is also an easy trail for any vehicle and there is lots of camping along the way. From Crested Butte, some years you can make it to Emerald Lake, up the trail from Gothic, but depends on snow. There are tons of trails and camping in the area. Do yourself a favor and stop in Gunnison at the parks station and get a good trail map. I was glad I did. There are so many cool trails that you wont find without it.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I've camped on Slate River Road several times. Far enough away from town, but not too far if you need to get back into town with younger and older campers. You do not need 4x4 for this road most of the summer.

The river really runs fast early in the summer bc of snowmelt, but otherwise it is an easy water source (filter it of course) and there are some primitive campsites with fire pits.

Quick Reply: Camping near Crested Butte?