Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Colorado high country/snow?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mstef3
Does anyone know if your aloud to make camp along the trails (in a pull off area) as long as you stay near the trail? Or the camp site, like Alta Lakes. Are they first come or do you have to reserve them? Any tips will help, thanks.
For primitive camping along trails you are generally OK as long as you are not attempting to camp on private land. Pay attention to signs, fences, and your topo map or GPS when choosing a camp spot to determine private and public land. Another positive sign can be existing fire rings that look well used, others camping in area "roadside", and pull offs that lead 25+ yards off the road/trail as many times these take you to camp spots not seen from the trail.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would contact the forestry office for the best info, I have drove the last dollar road I don't remember seeing any campgrounds a lot of private land.

Grand Mesa Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests - San Juan Mountains

Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forest
2250 Highway 50
Delta, Colorado 81416
(970) 874-6600

Quick Reply: Colorado high country/snow?