Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Expo trails in NC?

Old 04-11-2014, 02:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustTryingToLive
Are there any trails by Raleigh? Sorry to try change the subject
Uwharrie National Forest would be closest legal trails to Raleigh at 1hr 30mins.

It's a really nice place with all sorts of outdoor activities.

Here is a Google Map to the Outpost. This is where you can purchase a trail pass and load up on supplies. (the food is really good here)....The entrance to Uwharrie is just down the road

Eldorado Outpost

Last edited by OH9JK; 04-11-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:23 PM
kmw
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Welcome...we like to take in the scenery out in the Western part of NC. Some of our drives include...

Old Hwy 105 is a very nice drive through the Linville gorge area

Maple Sally Rd FS187

Pineola road FR464 is a nice drive

Blue Ridge Parkway is always nice and there are tons of back roads off the parkway that are fun to explore
I'll second Old 105 - some of my favourite campsites for beginners (and for "car camping with day hiking") are on that road. A group wanting to do http://goo.gl/1GHEbA would have a good morning

Any of the gravel down around Brown Mountain Beach is nice but traffic can be pretty heavy at times.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kmw
I'll second Old 105 - some of my favourite campsites for beginners (and for "car camping with day hiking") are on that road. A group wanting to do http://goo.gl/1GHEbA would have a good morning

Any of the gravel down around Brown Mountain Beach is nice but traffic can be pretty heavy at times.

I like your map but check out that dirt road off State Road 1240 near the address 4656 Fish Hatchery Rd, Morganton, NC 28655 that runs back up along 1240 heading n/s

That looks like it has a few creek crossings
Old 04-27-2014, 06:41 PM
kmw
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HELLBENDER-JK
I like your map but check out that dirt road off State Road 1240 near the address 4656 Fish Hatchery Rd, Morganton, NC 28655 that runs back up along 1240 heading n/s

That looks like it has a few creek crossings
I've had iffy luck with the service roads in that area. It seems like FS 496 is always gated off - I've been camping down there for 16 years and last summer/autumn was the first time I can remember the gate being open. I'll do some recon down there this weekend and let you know how it goes, with some pictures if it's halfway decent!

Quick Reply: Expo trails in NC?