Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Hurricane Creek NC

Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go and show you some of the trails around hurricane creek but I have to work Friday the 25th and I won't be in town this weekend. You can look at the information on hurricane creek here on the forum and on you tube. It is pretty easy, nothing technical. Mostly forestry roads. If you had just the two vehicles and a tow strap you should be fine. The toughest part is getting off interstate 40 safely. There isn't much of a shoulder and cars behind you aren't expecting you to turn off into the woods. Keep your blinkers on and turn right after the Harmon Den sign. I would recommend going all the way up to Max Patch. Beautiful spot.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Is there camping off the hurricane creek trail? Or up on Max patch? I read it was prohibited on Max patch but when I Google it I see people with tents up etc. If anyone knows let me know, I'm gonna keep researching
Old 08-20-2015, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone start a group in Asheville? I live in Hendersonville.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Last I heard you can't camp on Max Patch with your Jeep. You can certainly park your Jeep in the parking lot and hike to the top and camp though. It is part of the Appalachian trail. At one time you could drive up but that changed years ago when some guys tore up the fields 4 wheeling. Too bad a few can ruin it for the rest of us- we keep losing trails in this area.

Hurricane Creek is still open and it looks like there are several places one could camp along the stream. It is highly discouraged to drive off the main trail and they have put some large impassable berms up in some places where guys were tearing up some lower flats in the past. Occasionally I will see a fisherman in this stretch- rare though. I have never fished this area so I have no idea if they have much luck. There are some other logging roads in the area that are fun including one that goes by an old underground mine that is now underwater and also buzzards roost which has some crazy views but it is definitely not for anyone who is afraid of heights.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Just rode up Hurricane last Sunday. Never put it in 4wd, but it's a nice ride just to get off the highway.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Does anyone know how long it takes to traverse Hurricane Trail? My wife and I are headed to Asheville this weekend and I was hoping to take a ride through the woods in my new Jeep.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wadehouk
Does anyone know how long it takes to traverse Hurricane Trail? My wife and I are headed to Asheville this weekend and I was hoping to take a ride through the woods in my new Jeep.
I would plan on 2-3 hours from the time you leave I-40 to the time you come back down on the dirt roads back to I-40. Longer if you go up to Max Patch, which I would recommend. You should know that cell coverage out there is spotty at best. Any stock jeep can handle the trail, but it's still not a place I would want to break down on my own as it would be a long walk to anyone. Anyone else agree or disagree?
Old 08-28-2015, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply. We got into Asheville this afternoon and are planning to try out the trail tomorrow morning. It will be my new Jeeps maiden off-road voyage, as I sold my 2008 JKU two years ago and just got the 2015 JKUR two weeks ago. I'm hoping I don't scratch it
Old 08-29-2015, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Well, we went all,the way up Hurricane Creek trail today fbeginning at the Rt 40 trailhead. We had a great time.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great. Did you go up to Max Patch? It is a beautiful ride. How long did it take you?

Quick Reply: Hurricane Creek NC