Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Let's talk the Rubicon

Old 10-19-2014, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk the Rubicon

Starting to plan my 2015 vacation and thinking about going to Lake Tahoe and then trying my hand on the Rubicon. How far is it from Tahoe to the trip head? What is the best time to go? Need advice and tips on planning a trip guys so give me some feedback.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Trail head is about 5 min from the water at Tahoma. Lake Tahoe is a huge lake that is around 120 miles to drive around it and 5-6 hours. Most places to stay will be in Stateline/South Lake or up North in the Kings Beach area. South side of Reno is about an hour drive and from Truckie it is about 40 min. It will make a difference on where you are planning on staying. I would figure 40 minutes from Stateline. From Loon lake figure 2+ hours back to South Lake Tahoe or 3 hours to Reno. Figure about 2.5 hours to Sacramento, CA. It is best to check the many websites for the rubicon for the many events that are held there as traffic can really hold you up on the trail.

If at all possible try to run it during the week. Weather conditions as well as wild fires will affect if it is open or closed and again check the websites often for updates. You will generally be ok from late May until late October and if close to those dates plan on extra gear for weather. There are no cell towers on the trail so don't expect any comunication unless you have a short wave radio as there are a couple of repeaters up there. It is best to travel in small groups in case of trouble.

The trail is really not that hard and you can bypass most of the hard stuff. There are plenty of places to camp but you can really run it in a day if traffic allows.

There is generally something going on in the Reno/Tahoe area during the summer so you might want to check the schedules for concerts and events that may create traffic around the lake. Typical holidays are very busy around the lake and the campground on the South side generally gets backed up with traffic. Lots to see and do out here so plan on a decent amount of time and there are plenty of other trails to run in the area. You won't be disappointed by the area.

Good luck with the planning and if you need more detailed info on places just ask.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Trail head is about 5 min from the water at Tahoma. Lake Tahoe is a huge lake that is around 120 miles to drive around it and 5-6 hours. Most places to stay will be in Stateline/South Lake or up North in the Kings Beach area. South side of Reno is about an hour drive and from Truckie it is about 40 min. It will make a difference on where you are planning on staying. I would figure 40 minutes from Stateline. From Loon lake figure 2+ hours back to South Lake Tahoe or 3 hours to Reno. Figure about 2.5 hours to Sacramento, CA. It is best to check the many websites for the rubicon for the many events that are held there as traffic can really hold you up on the trail.

If at all possible try to run it during the week. Weather conditions as well as wild fires will affect if it is open or closed and again check the websites often for updates. You will generally be ok from late May until late October and if close to those dates plan on extra gear for weather. There are no cell towers on the trail so don't expect any comunication unless you have a short wave radio as there are a couple of repeaters up there. It is best to travel in small groups in case of trouble.

The trail is really not that hard and you can bypass most of the hard stuff. There are plenty of places to camp but you can really run it in a day if traffic allows.

There is generally something going on in the Reno/Tahoe area during the summer so you might want to check the schedules for concerts and events that may create traffic around the lake. Typical holidays are very busy around the lake and the campground on the South side generally gets backed up with traffic. Lots to see and do out here so plan on a decent amount of time and there are plenty of other trails to run in the area. You won't be disappointed by the area.

Good luck with the planning and if you need more detailed info on places just ask.
Thanks for the detailed info.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Dirtman hit most of the major points I think. Depending on what you normally wheel, it can range in difficulty.

You can read about my trips to the Rubicon here: Rubicon Archives » TruJeepin.Com TruJeepin.Com
Old 10-20-2014, 06:26 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rlew0083

Thanks for the detailed info.
Dirtman cover it. Only thing I would add is that the normal run is from Loon to Tahoe, if you are thinking about doing it in the other direction you maybe waiting longer to get though the major obstacles. Also Days Inn in South Lake don't mind you working on your rig in their parking lot. Other places can get a bit funny about it.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

bumping this up. a group of 4 or 5 are planning on running the rubicon august 25-27th. I am guessing it will be dusty by then. Is that a good time to run it as far as crowds go? Also is there anywhere close a person could store tops and doors? We are driving from Montana so was hoping there would be storage facility somewhere close that we could pay to keep stuff safe while running the trail. thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If you come thru Reno you are welcome to leave them at my place as it should be right on your route and I should have room to store stuff at the new house. Its right off Mt. Rose highway on the way to Incline Village and the North route around the lake to the trail head. Takes about 45 min from my place to the Tahoma trail head.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi

If you come thru Reno you are welcome to leave them at my place as it should be right on your route and I should have room to store stuff at the new house. Its right off Mt. Rose highway on the way to Incline Village and the North route around the lake to the trail head. Takes about 45 min from my place to the Tahoma trail head.
Nice offer for sure. Is that time period in August going to be crowded middle of the week? thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would doubt it but would check the jeep jamboree schedules to be sure.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:59 AM
JK Jedi

I would doubt it but would check the jeep jamboree schedules to be sure.
I had checked on that earlier when we picked the time it did not look like anything organized going on. In your opinion is one entry point better then another? We are all running it in our daily drivers 2.5-3" lifts and 35's all 4 doors except one 2 door. All experienced but not professionals by any means. We normally do things in Moab like hells revenge, rose garden hill, poison spider, Kane creek etc. nothing extreme. thanks

Quick Reply: Let's talk the Rubicon