Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Moab Trails

Old 08-31-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NUKEM-10
Top of the World is a fun trail and you get to see alot of sceneryonce you get to the top, but i just got back from there and i wouldnt call the trail easy anymore. The trail has gotten pretty bad (as in ruff with alot of drop offs). And it has turned into a trail i wouldnt ever run without another jeep.
We did top of the world back in March and would agree. It's no easy trail anymore. Pretty rough. Definitely more technical than others.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

What would you recommend for the campsite with the best view in Moab?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Honestly, headed from the DFW area as I assume you are, I'd skip Zion and spend an extra day at Moab to visit Arches and Canyonlands. You'll save gas, have more time to enjoy the sights, avoid huge crowds, and see way better scenery. And both parks have off-road trails--you won't find that in Zion! I'm a bit of a national park nut and have been to almost all of them, many of them multitiple times. Zion is somewhere in the middle of the pack of the 43 I've been to. So is Arches. But Canyonlands is in the top two or three. Drive out on White Rim Trail--you don't need a permit if you don't camp. Take your lunch, start very early (sunrise at Mesa Arch before descending into the canyon is breathtaking), and plan to spend all day there. There's a Denny's on the north side of town to feed you breakfast before sunrise.

Headed down Shafer Switchbacks to White Rim Trail ...

Musselman Arch in Canyonlands ...

The view from Airport campsite in Canyonlands ...

Mesa Arch in Canyonlands ...

Colorado River from White Rim Trail in Canyonlands ...

This is a long ways out White Rim Trail, but White Crack campsite offers a stunning view ...

So does Murphy C campsite, but once here you've committed to driving the entire 100 mile trail ...

And I didn't even address Elephant Hill Trail, which is a difficult rated trail (WRT is easy unless weather intercedes). But that's way at the other end of this huge park--a good 60 minute drive just to get to the trailhead from Moab. More spectacular scenery, but different than Island in the Sky (which WRT takes your around).

If you want to spend more time considering Canyonlands, here's a video of a trip that included it. Start at 2:30 for the Canyonlands part if it doesn't forward you automatically, and continue to part 2 to see all of White Rim Trail ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__eRvYZ9TXY&list=UUIK_7F7GJJcvTo9d7Ag5cYA#t=151 P.S.--Agree with above comment about Fins and Things. It's right on the edge of town. Previously described as "easy", it's actually rated difficult in Well's Moab guide. But it's a very easy difficult. A stock Jeep can run it no problem. It is like a slow motion roller coaster.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Verv
What would you recommend for the campsite with the best view in Moab?
Thanks
I like the campgrounds up kane creek blvd. Not the best views per say, but definitely very scenic area camping next to Colorado river. And there are shaded areas as well. Can't beat that.

Quick Reply: Moab Trails