Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Moab Trails

Old 08-11-2014, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moab Trails

Headed to Moab and thinking of hitting these trails. Hells Revenge, Porcupine Rim and Gemini Bridges. Any thoughts on this and any others we should consider? We'll be there 2 days and will visit Durango and Zion too if you have recommendations there too. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Steel Bender is one of my favorites, it can be as difficult or easy as you want to make it. Also, Fins 'n Things is another one of the easy but fun ones to do.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2hmr
Headed to Moab and thinking of hitting these trails. Hells Revenge, Porcupine Rim and Gemini Bridges. Any thoughts on this and any others we should consider? We'll be there 2 days and will visit Durango and Zion too if you have recommendations there too. Thanks!
Honestly, headed from the DFW area as I assume you are, I'd skip Zion and spend an extra day at Moab to visit Arches and Canyonlands. You'll save gas, have more time to enjoy the sights, avoid huge crowds, and see way better scenery. And both parks have off-road trails--you won't find that in Zion! I'm a bit of a national park nut and have been to almost all of them, many of them multitiple times. Zion is somewhere in the middle of the pack of the 43 I've been to. So is Arches. But Canyonlands is in the top two or three. Drive out on White Rim Trail--you don't need a permit if you don't camp. Take your lunch, start very early (sunrise at Mesa Arch before descending into the canyon is breathtaking), and plan to spend all day there. There's a Denny's on the north side of town to feed you breakfast before sunrise.

Headed down Shafer Switchbacks to White Rim Trail ...

Musselman Arch in Canyonlands ...

The view from Airport campsite in Canyonlands ...

Mesa Arch in Canyonlands ...

Colorado River from White Rim Trail in Canyonlands ...

This is a long ways out White Rim Trail, but White Crack campsite offers a stunning view ...

So does Murphy C campsite, but once here you've committed to driving the entire 100 mile trail ...

And I didn't even address Elephant Hill Trail, which is a difficult rated trail (WRT is easy unless weather intercedes). But that's way at the other end of this huge park--a good 60 minute drive just to get to the trailhead from Moab. More spectacular scenery, but different than Island in the Sky (which WRT takes your around).

If you want to spend more time considering Canyonlands, here's a video of a trip that included it. Start at 2:30 for the Canyonlands part if it doesn't forward you automatically, and continue to part 2 to see all of White Rim Trail ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__eRvYZ9TXY&list=UUIK_7F7GJJcvTo9d7Ag5cYA#t=151 P.S.--Agree with above comment about Fins and Things. It's right on the edge of town. Previously described as "easy", it's actually rated difficult in Well's Moab guide. But it's a very easy difficult. A stock Jeep can run it no problem. It is like a slow motion roller coaster.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Stay in Moab and visit Arches NP. We were there for 10 days and barely scratched the surface.

There is a great back-country run in Arches. Take the paved road to the north end and find the Tower Arch road. Go west over an interesting rock pitch, then head south for a real scenic exit, or go back over the rock pitch for a fast exit to pavement.

A view from inside Arches NP:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arches2 small.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	570818

A view from Tower Arch road:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arches North Long small.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	570824
Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also do Top of the World trail. Super scenic and easy.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Honestly, headed from the DFW area as I assume you are, I'd skip Zion and spend an extra day at Moab to visit Arches and Canyonlands. You'll save gas, have more time to enjoy the sights, avoid huge crowds, and see way better scenery. And both parks have off-road trails--you won't find that in Zion! I'm a bit of a national park nut and have been to almost all of them, many of them multitiple times. Zion is somewhere in the middle of the pack of the 43 I've been to. So is Arches. But Canyonlands is in the top two or three. Drive out on White Rim Trail--you don't need a permit if you don't camp. Take your lunch, start very early (sunrise at Mesa Arch before descending into the canyon is breathtaking), and plan to spend all day there. There's a Denny's on the north side of town to feed you breakfast before sunrise. Headed down Shafer Switchbacks to White Rim Trail ... Musselman Arch in Canyonlands ... The view from Airport campsite in Canyonlands ... Mesa Arch in Canyonlands ... Colorado River from White Rim Trail in Canyonlands ... This is a long ways out White Rim Trail, but White Crack campsite offers a stunning view ... So does Murphy C campsite, but once here you've committed to driving the entire 100 mile trail ... And I didn't even address Elephant Hill Trail, which is a difficult rated trail (WRT is easy unless weather intercedes). But that's way at the other end of this huge park--a good 60 minute drive just to get to the trailhead from Moab. More spectacular scenery, but different than Island in the Sky (which WRT takes your around). If you want to spend more time considering Canyonlands, here's a video of a trip that included it. Start at 2:30 for the Canyonlands part if it doesn't forward you automatically, and continue to part 2 to see all of White Rim Trail ... YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__eRvYZ9TXY&list=UUIK_7F7GJJcvTo9d7Ag5cYA# t=151 P.S.--Agree with above comment about Fins and Things. It's right on the edge of town. Previously described as "easy", it's actually rated difficult in Well's Moab guide. But it's a very easy difficult. A stock Jeep can run it no problem. It is like a slow motion roller coaster.
Thanks! Great info. I've visited Moab several times mountain biking and we are looking forward to wheeling it. We are headed to Vegas so we have Zion on our list to hike some trails like Angel's Landing and MTB a couple of trails. Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKZinger
Also do Top of the World trail. Super scenic and easy.
Top of the World is a fun trail and you get to see alot of sceneryonce you get to the top, but i just got back from there and i wouldnt call the trail easy anymore. The trail has gotten pretty bad (as in ruff with alot of drop offs). And it has turned into a trail i wouldnt ever run without another jeep.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2hmr
Thanks! Great info. I've visited Moab several times mountain biking and we are looking forward to wheeling it. We are headed to Vegas so we have Zion on our list to hike some trails like Angel's Landing and MTB a couple of trails. Thanks again!
Ah, that makes complete sense.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at this thread, some awesome trails near St George and you will be close to it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/soca...-socal-245301/
Old 08-20-2014, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Steele bender is a lot of fun. Fins n things is fun and fun to do as a night run if you have the lighting for it. Gemini bridges is pretty and cool to see the bridge, but it's basically a dirt road out to it. I usually go out there every time I'm in moab.
Zion np is awesome. I love it there. When you do angels landing, start early in the morning 7/8ish. Then hit the lodge for ice cream afterwords. Since you are headed to Zion, I'd recommend stopping at Bryce np for a few hours if it's allowed in your schedule. Very pretty. Unfortunately it is a long drive from Moab to Zion.

Also, since you're mtn biking, make sure to do goose berry mesa near Zion's.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Moab Trails