Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

My Easter Jeep Safari 2008 Trip !Warning lots of photos!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Easter Jeep Safari 2008 Trip !Warning lots of photos!

Hi all,

I want to share with you all some pics from my trip to the Moab Easter Jeep Safari 2008! This was my first time going "real" off-roading, and let me tell you, I almost had a heart attack on the first trail of the week, Fins and Things. As you can see in the pictures, you are driving on high pieces ("fins") of slickrock with steep dropoffs on either side of you. Apparently, I not only did some four-wheeling on this trail, but also some two-wheeling! Coming down off one of the fins, both rear tires actually came up and I started to slide to the side, according to people in front and back of me. Thankfully, however, I didn't roll! After that steering wheel bender-of-a-trail, the next day I did Copper Ridge which, in all honesty I felt was a little boring after having come close to death the day before. There was one part of the trail that was a little difficult, however. As you can see in the pics below, my suspension was flexed to the max on that off-camber chicane going down a hill where you have to put your left tires on a rock in order to avoid rolling the vehicle on it's side. After the docile Copper Ridge trail, I decided to change the remaining two organized runs on Wednesday and Saturday (which were both 3 rated trails) to Poison Spider and Flat Iron Mesa (which are both 5 rated trails, which may not seem like a huge jump, but mind you I am still new to this game). Poison Spider was a blast! The highlight of the day came at the "crack" (I think that's what it's called), where you drive on two pieces of slickrock cambered in towards each other...very cool. As is shown below, you also have the option of catching some air with a tire at the end! After dinner with wayoflife, wayoflifette, and some other great folks from this forum on Thursday night, we decided to do Gold Bar Rim on Friday morning. When we got to the trailhead, however, Red Rock 4-Wheelers had already closed it down (they have reserved trails through all week long just for EJS). We then decided to go ahead and do Metal Masher, which was right next to it. Everything went smoothly on the trail, until Eddie broke a front driveshaft. You can see pics of the carnage below. After waiting for about 45 mins for the Red Rock group to pass, I headed back down the trail with Eddie and a few others. I couldn't risk breaking something on that trail (which Eddie mentioned was a greater probablility of doing so), since I wanted to finish up on Saturday and drive the 800 miles back home to Cali without problems. After finishing up the week with a drive on an off-camber ledge angled toward a 1000ft drop into Coyote Canyon with just a 2ft-or-so safety margin of a road, Fins and Things didn't seem quite so bad anymore...

Check out the pics below!

Fins and Things

Copper Ridge

Poison Spider

Last edited by User 12721; 03-25-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Metal Masher

Flat Iron Mesa

Last edited by User 12721; 03-25-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Badass pictures man, looks like it was a blast! Thanks for posting them up.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for sharing your pictures, they are awesome.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:08 AM
JK Jedi

Awesome pics!
Old 03-26-2008, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great shots......!

Man I hope I can make it out there ....

Ill be getting married in vegas in July ...so I was thinking of swinging by there on my way back to Texas ....

Get Married In vegas 10,000 !!!!!

Making it to Moab the day after hmmmm PRICELESS !!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

A+ A+, Those pics are awesome! Makes me wish I could go to Moab! Actually, it just makes me want to go wheeling in general!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Great photo's, Thanks for posting for all to see.

I just have got to do Moab. Heck it's only a 2074 mile ride (one way).

Last edited by boots; 03-26-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
Awesome pics Colin! Tell me you didn't have a blast! Aren't you glad you went? Moab is so awesome. There's still so much to see and do. Sure looks like you did quite a bit though. Was great meeting you. Hopefully we can hit a trail and finish it next time.
Oh man was it ever a blast! I had that sick feeling in my stomach as I was driving home. And to all you who are only pondering going, consider thigs - I was able to get registered for 4 trails, get hotel reservations taken care of for the entire week, and get my butt out there with only two weeks to go before the safari! That is generally a little tough to pull off that close to such a big event. If I can do it, so can you.

It was great meeting you and Bullfrog...sorry we didn't get to say goodbye; both of you had already taken off by the time I got back to the condo from the show to go do some sightseeing!

SDMF, it was also nice meeting you, and I hope you get your steering problems worked out! I saw how much of a bear it was for you to manually turn the wheel...I was shocked that you even were going to go out on the run on Friday!

I'm definately going to be checking in on the SoCal section for the next run!

Colin

Quick Reply: My Easter Jeep Safari 2008 Trip !Warning lots of photos!