Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

New here. Planning a trip. Suggestions?

Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here. Planning a trip. Suggestions?

Ok, so maybe it's a bit of an early mid-life crisis, but I have decided to finally follow through on a dream I had a long time ago. I'm going to take my dog, and drive cross country this summer.

Currently, I am driving a 2008 JKU. However, I have ordered a 2015 JKU Rubicon and plan on taking that for this trip. I'm not going huge, but it will most likely have 35s and a winch on it for the journey.

My big question is, where are the places I absolutely need to hit? I will be starting at Rausch Creek since it's close to home for me and I know Moab, Rubicon, and the like, but I am talking about more of the local spots as well. Also, are there any groups to get in contact with in order to find some people to go with? Is anyone reading this interested in taking me through some of your local spots? I have off-roaded solo before, and am not a huge fan unless it's a trail I've done before (and even then, I'd prefer someone more experienced).

I haven't fully laid out a route just yet. But looking at late July/early August. Headed out on the northern side and coming back through the south.

Thanks for any feedback. I look forward to hearing from you all.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Former Vendor

If you pass through Northeast PA we could take you for a trip. Nothing extreme but there is some cool off road history.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If your goal is to drive as much off road as possible, and you're not necessarily concerned if it's technical or not, then perhaps you'd be interested in the Trans Am Trail. Drive from eastern Tennessee all the way to Oregon, almost entirely off pavement. It was made for single track, but the vast majority of it is suitable for 4WD.

TransAmTrail.com is the exclusive source for Maps Roll-Charts, and GPS Tracks for navigating the Trans-America Trail - an exciting, off-road, dual-sport motorcycle adventure across the United States

Old 03-14-2015, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lake city co to ouray co via engineer pass. Ouray to telluride via Black bear pass. Plus a bunch,of others. Has to be n the top 10 jeep adventures list.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 03-14-2015, 09:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots here in the west. Black bear takes lives every year, go with another rig that knows the trail. Moab takes axles. Get AAA.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Badlands, in Attica, Indiana is worth hitting and has trails for every level and pro shop. Also has a campground right next to the entrance. You can spend a weekend there wheeling easy and it is aways busy on the weekends and generally see several JK's there. Its about 10 miles north of I-74
Old 03-15-2015, 04:16 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dubzy
... drive cross country this summer. ... I haven't fully laid out a route just yet. But looking at late July/early August. Headed out on the northern side and coming back through the south.
Colorado, Moab, UT, and Sedona, AZ. You could hit the All-4-Fun in August in Colorado,

All-4-Fun presented by Mile-Hi Jeep Club

Good luck
Old 03-24-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I second the Badlandz in Indiana
Great location
I will be up there with 4 other keeps on Father's Day weekend
Old 03-26-2015, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you are returning via the southern route I would suggest using the old Mojave Trail that starts just a few miles east of Mojave for the direction you will be going. You can probably get in touch with some socal groups for some company on that one for sure. I have done it and it is great.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Dan - NE Penn. would be great, even before this trip. I pulled the trigger and ordered my Rubi yesterday, so 6-8 weeks out on delivery (at least I hope.)

As for everyone else, thanks for the advice. I am looking into most of the spots mentioned.

Quick Reply: New here. Planning a trip. Suggestions?