Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Newbie on Elephant Hill

Old 09-18-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie on Elephant Hill

Just did the Elephant Hill loop in Canyonlands - first off road with the Jeep - pretty much stock - no lift but I put on some rubicon springs and shocks that I got used and just have the 32" BFgoodrich T/A KMs which I aired down to about 25 psi... I think the limiting factor was the 3:21 gear ratio - I had to feather the throttle a little bit on some of the steeper stuff and use the brakes more than I thought when descending, but all in all it was a great experience - managed not to ding anything and just went slow. The bumpers (Rugged Ridge XHDs) helped with the angle stuff and I didn't even come close to smacking into anything - all in all it was great fun and worth the drive out. Reading up on off road techniques here on the forum gave me enough confidence to head on out and studying up on the trail and watching trail videos helped a lot - I wish I had a go-pro or something - maybe next time - 'cause it would be nice to add to the "knowledge base" for other newbies like me.

-Rob
manual 6 spd 2011 JK Sport

Click image for larger version

Name:	jksept14_01.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	576123Click image for larger version

Name:	jksept14_02.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	576124
Old 09-18-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Cool trail. I'm headed back for ten days or so on a several hundred mile overlanding trip next year and Elephant Hill is our last hurrah. Did you hike Joint Trail or Confluence Overlook? Both are pretty awesome.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Just the Confluence Overlook - very cool - should've done the Joint trail but were pressed for time... I know, crazy to be pressed for time out there...

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Cool trail. I'm headed back for ten days or so on a several hundred mile overlanding trip next year and Elephant Hill is our last hurrah. Did you hike Joint Trail or Confluence Overlook? Both are pretty awesome.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

The wife and I did Elephant Hill in Sept. for the 2nd yr in a row. Among all the trails in Sedona, Moab, and Ouray, that we did this year, Elephant Hill is one of my favorites. We were on the road for over 2 weeks and did 4800 miles.

Quick Reply: Newbie on Elephant Hill