Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

ozark overland trail AR

Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ozark overland trail AR

Where can I find some details on the ozark overland trail, including gps, maps, details etc?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKCobra
Where can I find some details on the ozark overland trail, including gps, maps, details etc?

Thanks!
It's tough to find info on as there really isn't a trail called the Ozark Overland Trail. I believe I saw a video on here about it not too long ago where they called it this. It seems to be a few service roads and county roads. I'd love some more details on it to as it looked like a blast. I'm not sure that driving the telephone pole service roads is legal though I'd love to be corrected about that.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...62bc647b&msa=0

Haven't run it yet, but this is all I've been able to find.

Last edited by HogHoden; 08-23-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone have anymore information on this trail? Im considering trying it out over the Christmas break but can't really find any good information on it
Old 12-28-2013, 04:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by HogHoden
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...62bc647b&msa=0

Haven't run it yet, but this is all I've been able to find.
Yep, that's it. High Water Mark and Ozark Overland Trail are two names for the same route. I think the Arkansas folks who put it together prefer the High Water Mark name. I've run it twice. It is basically forest service and county roads with some interconnecting paved highways. There is a short stretch where we run some power lines--perhaps about 1/4-mile or so. It's actually the most technical part of the route, not that there aren't some other fun sections. I can send a file to anyone who'd like to look at the route on Google Earth. That file can also be imported into most GPS devices so that one can follow our route.

Here are some still pictures ...

This is the bottom of the powerline section. You turn off it to the right several hundred yards up--about where the hilltop disappears. There is another section of powerlines much later in the trip, but it's just that you're dumped onto them from a county road that merges with them and ends up out at the highway. It seems to be a dual-use section of road for a short bit.

Here are some videos ...

October 2013 run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DZr8b28jsQ April 2012 run ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6DqD-lxtKc Do be aware that Richland Creek campground is being refurbished and is completely closed. There is dispersed camping allowed in the national forest area, which is much of the route.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mark,
Thank you for your reply. I attempted to do the trail this weekend but I didn't have clear GPS coordinates. I made it to the Wollun (sp?) crossing just out of St. Joe on the buffalo river but the water was WAY too high to cross. I watched a group of horse back riders cross it and the smallest horse had to swim to keep up. I ended up backtracking and just taking paved roads through the national forest and camping on a logging road for the night. It was a great trip, considering the weather was so nice and a good chance to try out my new DSLR.. Do you have a facebook page? I'd like to go with you guys next time you make a run. I'm located on Grand Lake.

Ill try to upload some of my photos this evening. It was my first time using the jeep as a bed. With the rear seats folded down, a twin size airbed fit perfectly. I turned off hwy 7 on a road that showed a little fourwheeler on my gps (first time I had seen that). It was called Gernety Ridge trail. It had quite a few logging signs here and there and the trail was pretty narrow but any suv could have made it. At the top was a little entrance to an ATV trail and someone had a fire ring there previously. I just used it for the night. It was 19 degrees when I woke up but was still plenty warm in the jeep.. Plus hitting the remote start made for a great morning. Just fired her up and got warm while I got dressed in the back..

Last edited by waterboy222; 12-30-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Mark,
Thank you for your reply. I attempted to do the trail this weekend but I didn't have clear GPS coordinates. I made it to the Wollun (sp?) crossing just out of St. Joe on the buffalo river but the water was WAY too high to cross. I watched a group of horse back riders cross it and the smallest horse had to swim to keep up. I ended up backtracking and just taking paved roads through the national forest and camping on a logging road for the night. It was a great trip, considering the weather was so nice and a good chance to try out my new DSLR.. Do you have a facebook page? I'd like to go with you guys next time you make a run. I'm located on Grand Lake.

Ill try to upload some of my photos this evening. It was my first time using the jeep as a bed. With the rear seats folded down, a twin size airbed fit perfectly. I turned off hwy 7 on a road that showed a little fourwheeler on my gps (first time I had seen that). It was called Gernety Ridge trail. It had quite a few logging signs here and there and the trail was pretty narrow but any suv could have made it. At the top was a little entrance to an ATV trail and someone had a fire ring there previously. I just used it for the night. It was 19 degrees when I woke up but was still plenty warm in the jeep.. Plus hitting the remote start made for a great morning. Just fired her up and got warm while I got dressed in the back..
PM sent. ........
Old 01-02-2014, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default ozark overland trail AR

Mark,

Thanks for the great video and photos. My brother and I have been looking for good Jeep trails that we could do an overnight or two on and this sounds great. If you are making plans again anytime soon, would be grateful for an update. Very interested in trying this one soon.

Michael
Old 01-02-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Count me in too. I like riding around in Arkansas and this sounds like a lot of fun. K-Trail has been on my to-ride list for a while and I will be adding this one as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like a blast, I would love to make this trip.

Quick Reply: ozark overland trail AR