Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Rocky mountain national park

Old 10-01-2014, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rocky mountain national park

Looking for some info on a upcoming 4 wheel trip.
Four of us are headed to Colorado next week from MN to do some expedition four wheeling. We are looking to start out of Estes Park. Anyone have any suggestions on good trails in northern Colorado?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-01-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Middle St Vrain & Coney flats, Iron clads, T- 38 ( plane crash ) just a few but whether is moving in up in that area.
Not sure how accessible those trails will be. They are close to estes park though.....Trail T - 38 you can hike down and see
The plane wreckage ..have fun." these trails are off of hwy 72 out of Lyons by estes park....

Last edited by Rebar-7; 10-01-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to call the park. The trail ridge road (highest continuously paved road in N America) is currently closed. That road will take you from Estes over the top and let you drive into the Grand Lake area on the west side of the park. They periodically open and close the road with snow fall and by about the end of October it is closed for the season. We are getting an early winter here, many of the ski resorts are hoping to open in the next two or three weeks. Also take a look at TrailDamage.com. They list dozens of trails and you may be able to find some close to Estes Park. I am not familiar with the trails in that area. If you go to the Grand Lake side and come down 40 you can wheel all over the Commodore Mine area (out of Empire) and take in Bill Moore Lake and several trails off of the Bill Moore trail. If you go from Empire to 70 and go to Georgetown you can take Guanella Pass over to 285 and then west on 285 a few miles you can go up the road to Red Cone. You can only get to the Middle St Vrain from just north of Breckenridge. The road from Keystone to Montezuma which was the entry point for Saints John and Deer Creek and the east side of the middle St Vrain trail is washed out and they only allow locals up there. Snow has not ended the season yet but anything above 10,000 feet is subject to it and it is snowing in several places above 10,000 feet as I write this.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys! Yea I saw the snow Colorado is getting right now. I was thinking of heading south of 70 and keeping to lower elevations

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-04-2014, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouray area trails are likely a no go too. Oct 2nd my wife woke up to ~3" at 8500 feet. Other side is Lake City with Ouray just to our southwest. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-410534193.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	578534 view from our deck Sep 30th:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-538255095.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	578535

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.

Quick Reply: Rocky mountain national park